Tarpley 20

Tarpley 20 today. Quite a small local race and my first long run of my VLM campaign.

The plan
2 mile warm up, 20 miles @ LT (157 bpm), 2 mile cool down.

The outcome
2 miles warm up, 20 miles @ 157bpm (2:12.19) 8th place, hobble back to car.

The boring blog
So, after a good tempo session Thursday was looking forward to today. Have not run nearly long enough on this campaign but my plan is to do 3 x 20 mile races at a decent clip and to add Guy passed me rapidly and group are 10/15 secs ahead at first mile. 6:09 tad fast but wakes the legs up a bit. Actually feel OK.

2nd mile up hill. 6:32 and HR little high. Guy from Tiptree passes me and I am on my own. Quite a gap behind me.

Next few miles up and down hill. HR climbs 163/4 bpm uphill and 152/3 downhill. 6.22, 6.27 & 6.35 to get to 5 miles in 32.xx

Tiptree man stops for a piss just before 5 miles and I go past. Next 2 miles are net downhill - 6.30 & 6.16. Starting to feel a bit bored and 10 can't come soon enough.

6.47 uphill mile, starting to take it's toll. Feel ok but hard to get any sort of rhythem going on the hills and Im too bored to concentrate properly. Lovely course by the way very scenic and some lovely villages.

6.31 for 9th mile and Tiptree has all but reeled me in. Lift the pace a little to get HR back to LT and open a gap. Seems like I am racing but really I am not. Actually wanted some company !

6.28 for 10th mile and I think it's 64.48 on the course markers for 10. Not bad and on schedule. Mentally make a note to slow to 6:40 pace for the rest.

6.32, 6.32, 6.33 for the next 3 miles. Undulating but not too bad, certainly the best pat of the course to get any kind of rhythem going. Probably net uphill but no sharp hills from memory.

Quite a gap to Tiptree now, look around but he's about 100m back. Get shouts I am in 7th place.

Now the course gets real tough. Next 4 miles are pretty brutal. Downhills are steep and start mashing legs, the uphills are constant and focus starts going a bit as legs ache. 6.48, 6.49, 6.47, 6.51 - HR is pretty low at this stage but it's hard to concentrate. Mentally I am back in the game but legs ache a bit and I'm fucked off with running uphill.

6.41 on a downhill drag to mile 18. Spy 2 guys catching me and a Pacer does indeed come past rapidly and settle 10 secs in front.

19th mile goes by pretty quick. At 7.08 it's slowest of race and the 159 bpm shows it's hilly but there were some downhills but my legs coouldn't push on this mile.

Last mile actually recover a little and push on to a decent pace. 6.27 with a biggish climb to the finish. HR 160 bpm which is below marathon effort so pleased with this but it's a net downhill mile.

Overall, for a hilly one it was tough today out there. Couldn't settle into a rhythm and some company would have neen nice. Mentally I got a lot out of it and next 20 shoud be easier. Pace wise that's not great BUT I do not do hills !!!

Will stretch like a mo fo tonight and run easy for a couple of days. Will do some kind of tempo session probs Weds/Thurs and get a longish run in before the weekend. Key for now is in the recovery so I will be taking resting HR each day this week and go gentle on the legs. Big race Sunday week !

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Canyon Speedmax CF 9.0 Ltd Review

Reboot - It's all about 2024

Progressive Tempo