Chasing Miles



I hate chasing miles. Gone are the days I could stick 5-6 months of a marathon build averaging 60-70 miles per week. My marathon days are long behind me.

In truth, I never much enjoyed the long runs. Anything over 18 was mentally so draining. 2+ hours on feet was just soul destroying, I never really relished the thought of it and the lack of them is probably the reason I never managed to hit a marathon that is comparable to my shorter distance stuff.

The last few weeks, certainly pre-Bedford I was set on looking to build to 50 mpw and possibly up to 60 mpw to keep the project alive.

My previous 6 weeks before Bedford averaged 34.6 miles. Longest run was 9.47 miles. Last 2 weeks I upped to 44.9 & 39.2. 

On Saturday I definitely noticed that the aches and pains were starting to return. Feet / achilles pains have been managed but the hip / glutes are starting to grumble and that always spells bad news! The Saturday run just felt like a very tired effort, chasing miles to get close to 40 for the week just felt draining.

So I have decided to fuck that off change the plan !!  I shall go back to focussing on the sessions.  Runs around the sessions are purely maintenance and to support the growth but it's the sessions that are key.  I am going t keep the same consistent set of sessions going, the ones I have found give me the biggest chance to getting quicker!

I will keep doing them on the treddy as that is really helping the legs. I know it's not real world running BUT pre-Bedford I had a nice routine going and I don't think I need to change anything.  Bring the rep paces down, nice and slowly over winter and the times will happen!

Training paces are also really starting to tumble. Sub 7 for easy runs and low 6:30s for steady runs and feeling really relaxed. Sometimes I do wonder what I am thinking when I change things so dramatically! It's not a million miles off seeing low 6s for steady runs. Why do I think chucking in loads of extra slower miles will help !!  I get the fact that miles make marathons but that's not going to help on the middle of a fast 5k.

Age grouping up this year has been a revelation. As a V40 I struggled to make much of an impact on any rankings. But as a V45 I am much closer to the top. One of the few areas in sport that being an old fart helps

2020 so far I am currently -

800m - 23rd

1500m - 14th

3000m - 17th (253rd ALL TIME)

5k - 23rd

Pretty consistent set of results. Getting an All Time ranking over 3k was pretty sweet. Now the plan is to hammer those results down. I would say I'm pretty much fitter over everything except maybe 1500m right now. Build the threshold this winter, stay fit and healthy and next season really put some solid numbers on the board. Top 10 over all of those events would be nice.  Fingers crossed build enough strength to have a real go at a 3k steeplechase too.

The new lock down is going to throw things a little BUT there will be more opportunities and the bonus is that I have never been this fit heading into November (even as a youngster!).





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Canyon Speedmax CF 9.0 Ltd Review

Reboot - It's all about 2024

Progressive Tempo