Miles Make Prizes

7th September today and for the past 7 days that I have been back into marathon training I have covered 57.44 miles @ an average pace of 8.01/mm.

No rest days & no double days. Longest run 12 miles and shortest 5.

Absolutely spot on for first proper week of training. Nothing crazy, nothing fast just good honest getting the legs used to feeling tired again!

Missed my track session this week but to be fair it's been tough on the legs but I do feel I am coming through it.

On holiday I had plenty of time to reflect on what has been missing over the past 18 months and it's pure and simple. Bad planning has led to inconsistency which has left me running 80 miles one week, 40 the next. In fact I have not run over 50 miles for more than 3 consecutive weeks this year. I have in fact run over 50 miles just once in the past 23 weeks!

For me mileage is critical, even more important than pace in training. I know if I get a good 8-10 week stint of good mileage in the bank then the pace will come. Saying that, this winter I do want to keep my key track session in there to keep me in touch with my speed work. Although my main focus is a proper tilt at a marathon in London I still have unfinished business on the track.

So this week has been tough. 8 miles on Friday at around or just under 8/mm I had to walk towards the end! On Sunday 10 miles felt as tough as any 20 I have ever done, 1.15 felt forever! Monday & Tuesdays mimble runs with Andy at work took more out of me than I would like but today I felt good :) The legs finally felt like they could run quick. I know tomorrow I will probably struggle but I know the legs will adapt.

As it's Wednesday, my first proper week will end on Sunday - which is a rest day as it's my daughters Christening. I am planning 10&6 tomorrow, 12 Friday & 8 Saturday giving me 62 for the full week. The master plan for between now and the Peterborough half is to maintain that consistent 60 mpw.

Now, 12 miles is my longest run so far, I havn't in fact run over 14 since March! that needs to be addressed, it needs to grow a couple of miles per week for less effort. By Peterborough I need to be up to 17 but consistent!!

Stats time. Comparison of best race this year and best race last year. Nice feature on Fetcheveryone.com...

Time spent running in the build up to the Ferry Meadows 5k
Time Period  Run Days  Miles
Last 7 days 6 (86%)44.07
Last 15 days11 (73%)83.16
Last 30 days22 (73%)168.73
Last 60 days46 (77%)344.35
Last 90 days62 (69%)454.57

 

Time spent running in the build up to the Oakley 20
Time Period  Run Days  Miles
Last 7 days 4 (57%)42.20
Last 15 days11 (73%)123.79
Last 30 days24 (80%)255.64
Last 60 days49 (82%)577.89
Last 90 days75 (83%)874.72

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Canyon Speedmax CF 9.0 Ltd Review

Reboot - It's all about 2024

Progressive Tempo