Medium Long Run

A big part of the P&D schedule - arguably most important is the midweek medium long run. When I was fit in 2010 running 12-16 miles comfortably midweek at MP + 1 min probably made me tougher than the long runs.

Early doors the big improvements come from long runs but these runs are key to getting a big engine ready to run a marathon.

Todays plan was 13 miles. I'm working to my LT testing HR zones so 142-151 bpm basically.

Started off reasonably with a 7:45/mm then 7:10 (was sub 7 until last part of mile) feeling really easy into wind. Route I went today took me from the office into Hertford - 4.5 miles dead into the wind which sapped me. HR wasn't silly but was 7:30+ for 150 bpm.

Lap of Hertford park and I knew it wasn't great when I was running just under 8's without wind. Started feeling lethargic so decided to bin the 13 off and come directly home making it 10.5ish.

Came back with wind behind and hip was grumbling. Think not having any carbs for dinner last night was the problem and the grumbly hip just made it all bad.

Got back to office, grabbed a £10 and jogged to Co-op to get a sandwich. Jogged back and wound up with 1.22 for 10.6 miles.

In fairness, thats not a terrible run. It's over 10 miles and the pace isn't that bad. Alright I've been sub 7 most runs this campaign but they can't all be winners.

Debating getting a short 3/4 miler in to bring the miles up but have a decent 11 planned on Friday so reckon best bet is to take today on the chin, get a recovery 6 in tomorrow then go harder Friday.

Will have a good stretch tonight. Sciatica / hammy / glute feels tight on left side.

Bit pissed that the run didn't go well but in fairness so far things have been going better than planned. Just need a good race on Sunday now at the County XC. Aim will be to get as close to the team as possible. Know I am not in great shape yet but just want to set a good marler out from the training. Best ever position was 19th in 36.06 so beating that will be the aim.

Comparing training to a couple of years ago highlights the big pace v miles debate. 2 years ago I was roughly the same but put some big miles in averaging 10 miles per day but at a very slow pace (slower than today). I am now running same pace overall that I ran at the end of the campaign 2 years ago so big improvement there but only if I can keep improving and hitting miles.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Canyon Speedmax CF 9.0 Ltd Review

Reboot - It's all about 2024

Start of Torun Specific Block