Running with Coeliac Disease

After a 4 week bout of GI issues (or as my old Dad, rest his soul, would say 'the thrupenny bits') I booked in with the doctor for stool samples and blood tests.  Something wasn't quite right.  If I am honest, something hasn't been 'right' for many years - maybe 20 or so - but I always put this down to running or my awful diet.

During the 2 weeks between taking the tests and getting a call from the doctor I tried going gluten free.  Assuming I may be gluten intolerant as the symptoms did loosely seem to match - diarrhoea, fuzzy brain, slightly unwell.

Within a couple of days things definitely 'firmed up'.   Happy with my self diagnosis I got used to having to probably avoid gluten, however knowing that I would likely just find it slightly annoying but would probably be able to eat 'some'.

The call came back from the doctor that I had actually shown to produce antibodies for Coeliac disease so it was very likely that I have it.  At some stage I will have to book in for a full test (tube down throat and biopsy taken from small intestine. Lovely!).

Reading it up, the signs seem very likely that I have it.  Initially you get hit with the realisation that it's a much bigger life change than just 'avoiding bread'.

So for a week or so I have been living as gluten free as I can.  I'd imagine I am getting a fair bit wrong and getting cross contaminated left, right & center BUT I am at least trying AND I am seeing results.

The biggest problem for a runner with Coeliac is not being able to process nutrients in food.  Training hard and then not getting all those vitimins (especially on a shit diet anyway) is likely to be one of the reasons I have been injured and achey so much these past x years. Who knows?  

The athlete in me sees the positive dietary changes as something that could actually be a benefit.  I have certainly lost some weight since I have switched to GF.  I feel better and my training is actually positive.  Don't get me wrong, I feel pretty awful first thing in the morning but my legs and body switch in fairly quickly.

The harder sessions are decent at this stage, however I do think I may struggle to get enough carbs in for longer stuff at the minute but I guess that's just experience?

So, I know I am not fully diagnosed Coeliac.  Yet.  And I'll need to go back to gluten for the tests BUT I am committed to the challenge of running through it and being the best I can be on track!

Anyways, back to training.  2 weeks away at Lower Mill and 5 KOMs and 6 local legend crowns.  All in all a pretty productive camp!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Canyon Speedmax CF 9.0 Ltd Review

Reboot - It's all about 2024

Start of Torun Specific Block