The naked runner

Technically preparing for a run over the past few years includes -

* Making sure Garmin is charged

* Getting signal before running

* Locating HRM strap

* Phone has enough charge and spotify playlist has downloaded added songs

* Wireless headphones have enough charge

* Stryd Power Meter is charged and set up on whichever of the 6 pairs of trainers I am running in today


During the run, constantly looking at several data fields and wondering -

* Is my Garmin working properly as it feels like 6/mm not 7/mm

* Why is my HR at threshold when it's supposed to be an easy pace

* Why can't I push my power any higher

* Why did I add this song to my playlist. Better stop and skip it


And then once finished -

* Upload to Garmin, which in turn means checking -

* Strava - change title to let everyone know how great I am if pace was ok or how tired I am if pace was shit

* Training peaks - where the honest appraisal happens

* Fetcheveryone - because I've logged on there for over 10 years and can't stop now even though nobody including me ever looks

* Stryd - to check what power was even though I don't fully understand it yet!

* Blog - to constantly bemoan my niggles / injury / form


Now all of this is perfectly fine and well when you are flying and feel great.  But lets be honest, that's a lot of palarva for what is supposed to be the simplest of sports!

I will admit, I love data and analysis.  You only have to see how many pointless blog posts I have made here to see how important it is to me to know what's happening and what the key is to unlocking fitness.  But sometimes enough is enough.

So I am on a break from technology for a while.  I started last Monday with the 100m and just decided to run. No technology, just get out and run like I did when I was a kid.  Distances and paces made up in my head.

And it feels pretty good.  I've run 5 days this week, including a couple of days of intervals and I feel happy with how it's going.  I'm still rehabbing the achillies so this week was always a cut back, but it's been nice to just run to feel and not really know how far, how long or how slow I have been.  It's quite refreshing and exciting to 'think' you are in good shape but never quite know!

I'll start uploading everything again in a week or so no doubt, but right now I feel pretty relaxed and happy with everything.

400m race tomorrow, that's going to be interesting!  First up, preying that my achillies holds up. Ran 68 & 67 in training so sub 65 is the target. Either way be good to get something on the board.  Still many weeks off fitness but everything is improving.









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Canyon Speedmax CF 9.0 Ltd Review

Reboot - It's all about 2024

Progressive Tempo