The Next Step

So, boring January is well underway. Another 9 1/2 miles today. The key right now is just hitting some volume to build base and conditioning.

The runs, I'm just plodding with no eye on the Garmin. It'll get better as I get fitter I guess but it all feels OK right now. Kind of feel very 'marathon training'. At some stage I'll feel beyond tired and need a day off but I'll manage that as it happens!

The main thing I am considering is what sessions and when.

From a 5k and 800m in short order I have some great data to work with. The 5k was much better, indicating that shorter speed is limiting right now so the focus will be the shorter stuff and getting my legs running quicker BUT under control. It needs to feel very natural and not full our rep efforts.

Volume reps I still need however I can't go more than 2 sessions per week in this phase so patience is key.

This week I'll take a gentle introduction of 2 x 9 x 200m off 30. An old classic! It's a great way to start relaxing but get some solid pace in plus I can benchmark it from old session data. Outside that it'll be easy running through the card and mainly trail work to get some strength as well as conditioning in.

Next week I'll re-introduce the longer reps but they will be right at 10k pace and they'll be off short recovery.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Canyon Speedmax CF 9.0 Ltd Review

Reboot - It's all about 2024

Start of Torun Specific Block