Manuflu part deux

Manflu has really got me.  So bad in fact that I have done 3 swims in a week!!!

It's not actually feeling ill, I don't feel feeble anymore, it's just the constant raking cough that gives me a headache and that tickle in the throat that slows my runs down.

I know if I backed off training for a couple of weeks it'd probably heal but that's the thing about us I guess.  Easier said than done!  I am pretty certain I have broken the back out of it now.  It's so annoying that I go to bed every night hoping that it's going to be cleared by morning.  Every day seems a little better but that raking cough is still there !!


So, last blog a good swim and a turbo session.  The hip was buggered and I was ill!

Hip - cleared up with a rest day on Wednesday. Dissapeared as fast as it came!  Illness - mentioned that bad boy above - still laying seige to my throat!  Some days I feel rough others healthy but always with the fucking cough!!

Thursday set off for an easyish run with the intention of running my HR test which should feel tough on little running.  Scores on the doors were a respectable 7.10 avge in feirce winds.  Gave up on the HR test when I was 5.50 pace with wind behind and 7.30 pace into it at about 160 bpm !!  Good run out and like I say, no hip - gip. 

Swam with Mr T later in the evening.  Amusing debate on wether looking after your own kids is babysitting or parenting !!  Guess which side of the fence Mr T is on haha !!

Good swim, low volume but some good 'stuff' done and felt good to get some pool time.  Bought months total past 10k which is where my target is so finally nailled this one!  100m pb at 1.42 and 400m pb on the warm down of 7.15 with a pool buoy and dragging Mr T's arse round :)

Friday - brick day.  Decided to split it into a morning ride and evening run.  Rode with Wenny, nice and social and conditions made it tough going.  Everything felt about 2 mph slower than normal (which was the case) but no interesting in pushing through.  30 miles at 17.5 mph so perfect base session.  In the evening pushed a harder than normal run. Aimed at flat 7's but averaged 6.35ish/mm so happy with that for a good 2.15 training day and some MP thrown in for good measure.

Saturday was another rest day (first 5 day week for a while) while we went to Mr Burtons ceilidh party in bonny Glasgy.  Ceilidh (pro-nounced kay-ley) seems to be some kind of weird Scottish barn dance where big men in skirts berate the English whilst watching the English be the only people game for a laugh.  Funny watching Burton get smashed and then took our repsective coughs off to bed.

7 hours on the train for Sunday morning and drove to Goddy for a run with Dan.  Absolutely fucked, feeling ill we managed a good steady 8 at 6.24 pace.  First mile was a joke with us both breathoing out of our arses for 6.49/mm when the second mile was a jog in 6.19 !!  Serious doubts I would finish half a mile in did not set me up well but once the Garmin stopped fucking us about things were much better.

HR geek alert - that 8 miles was at 157 bpm.  2 Sundays ago I ran 8 @ 6.16 pace for 162 bpm so considering I am ill it does seem things are improving.  Also, felt that running a HM at this pace would be fine.  Not earth shattering but last 2 weeks have been flued up so progress has got to be an achievement!

Today, didn't run at lunch time.  My regular Monday running partner Andy suffered a suspected heart attack last week and has been laid up since.  Had an op to insert 2 stents due to blocked arteries. Was touch and go but due to being so fit it saved his life. Get well soon mate.

Felt ill at work so did the minumum and came home and did a 25 min swim set.  Nothing major but with a broken 7.18 warm up 400 then back to back 100m pbs of 1.38 (pull) and 1.36 I had done enough and again felt good to get some pool time.  Plan to do some stretching and resistance band tonight then hope I am sweet for track tomorrow night.

Picture at the top is Mr Smooth.  Not DC (noone could be THAT smooth) but the swim instruction animation.  At the moment I am working on hand entry (fingers first and flat), early high elbow catch, keep tight to reduce drag, don't over extend and 'brake' by dropping wrist and keeping toes pointed again to reduce drag.  Finally big pull and finish with a wave. 

Feels easier and rather than feeling I am trying to push water underneath me I am trying to feel like I am moving through water without slowing myself down.  Do I know what I am talking about?  Probably not but setting some big pb's in training and getting faster and that's all it's about :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Canyon Speedmax CF 9.0 Ltd Review

Reboot - It's all about 2024

Progressive Tempo