Rolling back the year


  • 2007 - started running to loose weight for impending wedding. 13.5 stone
  • 2008 - ran first and second marathon. Joined a running club
  • 2009 - got more serious, just outside 3 hrs at London. Got injured
  • 2010 - properly serious. 75 min half, 2.50 at Amsterdam after injury
  • 2011 - loads of miles, terrible form. Cannot believe I kept running
  • 2012 - got serious, ran well. Got injured, bought a bike. 27.11 for 5 miles
  • 2013 - did an Ironman. Ran low 17 5k consistently
  • 2014 - age group triathlon. Chopper year
  • 2015 - cycling
  • 2016 - tried to do Ironman. Mum died. Marathon & cycling. Last half decent run form
  • 2017 - cycling
  • 2018 - bit of running. Injured. Cycling. Entered a marathon. Started running. Injured
  • 2019 - running


Jesus, I look back and my 2nd athletics career has been almost as long as my first. I've not got an awful lot to show for it in comparison to the first but there are a few decent performances in there.

The running progress got fucked when I bought a bike. Apart from a few OK 5kms (17:07 - 17:30) the running has been a shocker since 2012 (pre bike). I've had a couple of years where I've almost exclusively biked apart from the odd run. I've had a go at triathlon (2 x 21st ETU & 3rd National Middle Distance) but hardly anything to shout about.

This year, I have decided to put the (fucking expensive) bike on the back burner and concentrate on the running again.

I'm currently nursing a really sore achilles tendon from doing a track session in sprint spikes and shin splints that seem like they may be something more sinister. So obviously a wise decision !!

I have to say after 3 years since I did *anything* remotely half decent run wise I do fancy having a crack again. Looking at results, even sub 17 for 5k would be half competitive especially in the old farts age group. And since I have been training Jacob to run track, I even fancy a go at that again to relive the glory years.

The recent injury came from doing some 400s in 74 secs in spikes. Not the best idea.

I'm going to back to some training I did pre-marathon in 2010. Basically some easy - steady running and building tempo work in.  Lets face it the next blog post is probably going to be - so, I'm injured again and I've dusted the bike off.  But at the minute I fancy going back to my roots.

I'm a couple of days in to the plan.  The idea is to basically just follow it day to day and try and match the improvement.  In my head I can't believe I can't run under 18 mins for 5km.  That's pony, however just like Potch says - that's my reality !

So the idea for this week is around 40 miles of running with a 15 min tempo which I'll use a park run for.  I'll need to eat well and focus on stretching and recovery.  In 2010 I did this half pissed stinking of kebabs.  9 years - what a difference !!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Canyon Speedmax CF 9.0 Ltd Review

Reboot - It's all about 2024

Progressive Tempo