Advanced marathoning - Pfitzinger & Douglas the P&D Book !

December is traditionally a booze fueled, food stuffing, sicky piss-up. This year I have tried to limit all of the above and so far has been OK.

Knowing how bad December is and knowing I have a) no races and b) marathon training coming up - the aim has specifically been to maintain fitness.

It's a pretty unusal and nice place to be for me right now. I have spent the last 18 month chasing fitness and trying to get faster all the time. This month I have just been doing enough to get me into January in the same shape I went into December in !

I've really enjoyed running with little pressure this month. I don't feel in great shape but the sessions keep going well and all the extra recovery is giving my hip flexors some time out.

Tonights session was 3 x 3k at St Ives. Really didn't feel up for this after a long day at work. Short warm up as I was running late and got straight into the session. No Garmin like last time I did this one. Ran it pretty hard from the start and stuck in with DC & Ian T. Picked up the pace after the first K but tired on the home stretch a little and finished with a 10.20.

As usual 1st rep is the hardest and didn't think they would stay the same. 2nd rep went off the start at a decent clip and pushed on pretty early. Have to work on concentration, especially without Garmin and dropped a little through town. Ian T murdered me in to the finish and counted 2 secs behind him to card a 10.12. Surprised it was quicker than last one!

Final rep just got stuck in early doors and worked hard to follow Paul M. He was looking very easy about 20m up the road! Just tried to relax and work hard and ran pretty strong into the finish. Counted Ian in behind me and got to 17 but the boys had a stewards and said it was only 10 secs ;) so that gave me a 10.10.

Nice to get a progressive session in, especially after being battered on the first one. Another 9k of intervals off shortish recoveries and only about 1 sec per rep slower than last time we did this (Nov 24th).

Nice to catch up for a quick beer at the end of the night and good to see John U & Mark S back to the group.

The title of the post - Advanced marathoning - Pfitzinger & Douglas the P&D Book - relates to a birthday present from my missus. It's a great read, I am a right running geek and I have been considering giving the 55-70 or 75-85 mile schedule a crack for London. I've always done my own thing but am considering using this as a basis as I know it's worked for so many people in the past.

Feeling good about running at LT and tempo paces nowadays so adding a few extra miles into it should see me lift a fair bit. Be interesting to get a race in soon and see how I've improved.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Canyon Speedmax CF 9.0 Ltd Review

Reboot - It's all about 2024

Start of Torun Specific Block