Olympic hangover

Wow, the Olympics is nearly over.  What an amazing event to be proud of in this country, so many great memories and after several average Olympiads, London has pulled off a master stroke in matching the memories of 80, 84 & 88 for me.

It's been brilliant being able to watch so much, I am fortunate to have been to 7 events and finally witnessed a Team GB Gold (Mo's 5000m), a WR (Jamaica 4x100m) and countless amazing performance and moments.

I have hardly done any work ( I know a couple will laugh but I have actually made some big contributions to decisions though :) ). Training has been a stretch ( although got some quality in ) and  family time has been a minimum ( again a good bit of quality )!!

So today the 30th Olympiad ends.  Work starts in earnest tomorrow as does my Ironman & running plans.

After squeezing in a short sharpe tempo run on Thursday, I managed to get my swim session in on Friday.  Coach Josh set out the schedule


300m warm up
4 x 100m drills (catch, push, kick, strokes)
8 x 75m
400m cool down

Much much better than last week. Down to 23 strokes per 25m at best and 29 at worst. Avge about 27.

Last week I was averaging 32 strokes per length and to put that into perspective the Tri magazines are recommending 16-18 !!  But that's a big improvement for me and as I keep saying all I want to see is improvements!  Nice to nail a few lengths at 23/24 when my catch, push & kick came together but as I got tired through the session I started to go back to old habbits.  That's to be expected though as swim specifically I am totally focused on my technique from now until the new year.  I will do some mile swims to benchmark my improvement but based on my 400m cool down it's all good in the hood as that's the best and most comfortable I have ever swum and I could easily have gone on and on.

Saturday AM I needed to bike as it was always going to be early so I could meet the legend that is Mr Day for the evening athletics at Stratford!

Set out at a decent clip feeling pretty tired.  Aim was to do the old flatish route to get a good pace up.  On the bike I am eyeing up 19mph average on the way to kicking 20+ by the new year.  The bike is week for me as I have so little basic speed but as soon as my bike coach Mr Turner gets back from holiday we'll be working on that !!

Came out of Crimebourne and caught a tractor just ahead on the roundabout.  Brilliant!  Got a lovely tow along the old A428 for a couple of miles at 22.7 mph - not a great workout or help but was so much fun having to brake whilst free-wheeling!  He pulled off just before the flyover and it was up to me to beast the wind.

Rode steady into Cambridge and worked through the traffic up and back out of town and headed over the M11 into Barton, then along through Comberton, Toft, Bourn, Longstowe then  right on the fast road to Caxton and back into Cambourne.  Rode hard to Caxton getting up a good speed but the wind was so brutal so by the time I ht the last 2 miles I was dog tired and the headwind all the way home crippled me.  Manged 17.8 mph for the last 2 miles where I usually go well over 20.

Got back and rode a very gentle 6 miles or so recovery.  With the wind behind I was over 20 mph again without hardly peddling so shows how windy that was!  Good days mileage and good to get time in the saddle.

Plan again for the bike is to work on fitness whilst it's still good weather and try to do some technique and cadence sessions on the turbo.  The aim is to be proficient next year when the weather picks up and I can ride 20 mph.

Running tonight, will do 8 miles on road.  Left HRM at work so it will be whatever feels steady. At the minute anything around 7.15 pace will be an improvement. Lots to do run wise, need to start upping the miles and intensity next week but now the Olympics is done can get more done.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Canyon Speedmax CF 9.0 Ltd Review

Reboot - It's all about 2024

Progressive Tempo