Tempo Day

After my long commute double ride Tuesday, Wednesday was a total rest day.

Certainly for now I want to have a complete rest in there.

Sunday was rough, Monday & Tuesday easy but very long (5 1/2 hours in 2 days) so it was nice to give the legs a break.

Thursday decided last minute to work from home and test out a Strava structured interval session on the bike first thing. Idea from Ian T is to ride very easy between 4 Strava segments and hammer the segments.

Total ride was 20.6 miles at 17.1 mph BUT the main segments were -
2.5 miles @ 24.3 mph
2.6 miles @ 21.4 mph
0.9 miles @ 16.6 mph (223 W) 
2.2 miles @ 20.4 mph (224 W)

Really good workout and an easy hour on the bike without too much to think about. Ian T said Strava was the best structured interval session on a bike and it really is.

Recovered well during the day then off to St Ives in the evening for a 3 mile tempo run. After not much quality in the past week or so wanted to nail a day of fast riding & running.

Mile warm up with the track lads (Ian T, Kye, John, Stevie B) then jog to the mile rep start and banged out the downhill mile rep straight into the 3k St Ives town loop with a bit extra to make up the 3 miles.

Scores on the doors were 5.27, 5.50, 5.42 for 16.59 for 3 miles (added 0.0 for 2 seconds at the end so 17.02 on Strava!)


 HR on this got to 172 / 174 quite quick but stayed there for the pace.

What really pleased me was that my head was not in this, really didn't enjoy it so to drop 5 secs / mile and add a mile to last week is amazing for me.

This run puts me in 17.15-17.30 shape for 5k. If I can add another mile I feel like I am in 28 min 5 miles shape all of a sudden an that's where my running needs to be October time.

Really feels like the bike time is helping. This week is scoping to be a long run & swim short of perfect volume Ironman training so all in all things are moving nicely.

Main focus for me will always be running so to see that improving exactly where it matters (tempo pace) off 3/4 runs a week is bang on.

Today was swim day. Woke up early, had my eye on a bike on eBay. Cervelo P2 with ZIPP 606 wheelset and Dura Ace groupset. Don't believe I actually won the thing bidding in the last 60 seconds :) So off to get that tomorrow and put in a cheek ride no doubt!

Back to swim day. Felt tired and CBA to do a set so did 1 mile steady in the pool. Worked out 1750m (I think) - had pool mate issues where I thought I could just start it, swim and see what strokes, lap times etc... I did but only gave me a stopwatch time of 37 mins. Will see Mr T about that !!

Ian D offered me a lift tomorrow to pick the bike up but really don't like putting people out so I will drive down first thing and stick it in the back of Anges motor. Hope it fits. Also hope it is as advertised! Bike got the thumbs up from the bike coach for parts so happy days.

 Will do a sneeky 10 miles on it tomorrow no doubt but really need to run as I am biking in a group for the first time 7am Sunday for a niffty 50. That should bring up 11 hours 30 mins training for the week off 6 days !!

That is about what I am planning for IM bulk give or take some longer rides.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Canyon Speedmax CF 9.0 Ltd Review

Reboot - It's all about 2024

Start of Torun Specific Block