Smiley Filey

On Boxing Day I took the family Preston to the Bay resort in Filey, North Yorkshire.  Basically Christmas at our house involves Ange and myself running around after everyone so we decided to head away for a few days to spend some time together just us away from a stressful and boring time between Xmas and New Year.

Neither of us can be much arsed about New Years eve parties so it suits us just fine to have a quiet one.

As a family we did some nice trips, going on the North Yorkshire railway (Hogwarts express and stations from yesteryear), the Deep aquarium in Hull (or Shit-Hull as I like to call it) and plenty of time in the resort pool (which luckily for moi was 20m and almost always empty).


We chilled, I read 4 books and never reached for the internet (twitter or work) once.  Only watched one film and hardly drunk anything except the mandatory pint of Guiness in the pub over lunch.

Training wise I wanted to really work on strength as in January I plan to get a good base month of training in, with a LOT of hours.

Arriving on Wednesday I had already done an easy 6 around Cambourne.  I finished the evening with some sit ups and press ups.

Thursday I did a nice easy run into Filey along the beach on the harder parts of sand.  Beach running really isn't for me as I always run a really shit pace.  In Filey I looped around a bit and came back on myself.  Jesus it was hilly.  Problem when it's seriously hilly is that running up is properly slow but running down is not quicker as you'll just go arse over tit so it's trying to stay upright whilst simultaniously trying not to completely smash your quads with breaking 11 stone of body weight.  More sit ups and press ups to smash my poor old arms and core to bits.

Friday did an early morning hill session.  10 x 200 odd metres, maybe more.  Ouch is all I can say.  Rediculous incline and nearly chundered at the end so guess it worked out well enough.  Time in the pool with the boys afterwards splashing about.  No core work - too bloody sore.

Saturday - pool session.  Got in, and half a length later I knew it would be rubbish.  1,700m worth of 'stuff' mainly 240's or there abouts.  Felt ok ish after but core and arms still strained.

Sunday - pool again but just knocked out 40 mins straight.  Really good session, covered about 2.1k which in my 'lounging at the beach' shorts and in Jacobs goggles (managed to loose mine between the cottage and the pool) with no toys (read pool buoy, paddles, snorkle, floaty sex shorts) and had the entire pool to myself.  40 mins stright endurance swim and to be honest felt just like a recovery swim - happy days.  More sit ups and press ups on my weak core - need to work on this in the new year!  More pool with kids later.  Taking the piss with the free pass and the lackies at the leisure club know it!

Monday - new years eve long run.  10 miles.  82 mins.  Wind, rain, hills, cold, boring route.  Say no more.  Could have been a 10 mile temp for the effort and mentally a bloody tough run.  Glad to bag it and surprised with 10 by the end.  Nearly got blown off a cliff, had locals laughing at me on the beach and the downhills were un-runable.  If I was looking for a strength workout i'll be like Rocky after this one.  Splash in the pool with the family afterwards.  Few sit ups and press ups too (will be looking like Rocky at this rate!)

Tuesday - Ange green lights a swim session in the morning so dip in for an easy half hour or so.  Only manage 1,000m of stuff (read 80s, 120s, tumbleturn practice etc...) as I'm tired - most I've swum for a while - after 3 miles in 4 days.  That's pretty good volume for a novice.  Get it done and happy just to get the pool time to be honest as it's just a bonus session.
Drive 4 hours home and stop at the OK Diner on the A1.  If you have driven North on the A1 and you don't know this chain well you actually DO.  It's the silver American diners.  They serve fat bastard portions.  I had a chocolate shake - you get a silver shaker with extra ice cream which fills the glass 3 times.  I also had a double dog with 2 rashers of bacon, chilli, cheese and fries on top.  I had about half and swerved the fries.  Also had 8 wings which I managed 3 (big wing fan, these weren't great).  Absolutely brilliant laugh in there, if you ever on the A1 and want lunch between Stamford and Newark then well worth it.  Got home, unpacked, back to miserable dad telling the kids off for moving or talking then headed out for a run.  Aim was 'brisk' 5 miles.  Went for the usual HR test but obvious from mile 1 HR was way too high. Felt really good but sky rocketing HR for about 7.15 pace.  Happy enough with that as it's not quite 100% on the running front.

Meeting Stevie B for 15 tomorrow.  That will be a bit better and some good hours in the bank.  Off to see walking with Dinosaurs in the evening so work cut out to stay awake!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Canyon Speedmax CF 9.0 Ltd Review

Reboot - It's all about 2024

Progressive Tempo