Complete rest

4 days off exercise completely and the result is - not a dicky. Shin feels exactly as it did after Fridays run.

Lot of research done and it 100% feels like shin splints not a stress problem. Deeper massage shows deep muscle next to shin bone is very painful.

Yesterday I decided to take action against it. Looking at some threads it's possible to run through but it requires huge amount of rehab before and after. I've been doing this anyway so it doesn't seem a problem!

Main causes need to be looked at. Mainly - running form, strengthening calf and conditioning.

Running form - I'm pretty much a mid to forefoot striker anyway but I need to focus on this and shortening stride will help - I know I over stride and it looks like that will contribute.  I'm not one for looking at form, I've always just thought to get on with it but there is something not right last few years and worst case this at least gives me a chance to rule it out.  So today I will run focusing on forefoot strike and a shorter stride at an easy pace (8/mm)

Strengthening - this was an issue last time so I will go back to calf raises. Once it's cleared up I will focus on leg / glute strength again like I did in summer. Lots of single legs stuff under weight.

Conditioning - stretch, roll, ice and repeat. This has made things much better since I have done more and I will keep it up this time (promise)

It's annoying because I already feel a bit unfit. A really solid block of training up to 13th November at 40-45 mpw and building nicely then a 30 and an 18 with lots of rest days. The frustration has been the fact that the pace was getting below 7/mm for general runs. I can't build what's not there though so my only focus now is on running with zero issues.

Christmas silly season is here so there will be a couple of weeks that training is hit anyway so just better to accept it for what it is now and look at the new year for goals.

Better news for Jacob. He's been killing it recently. 300m & 600m indoor club records on his debut on the boards (45.29 & 1:43.14). The 600m was great becuase that's around 2.17 pace and a conversion of 2.21 would be a 9 second pb so he's improving consistently. Looking good to start next track season at 2.15.  Backed it up with a 6th place in a tough district schools XC (year under age) so can say that winter is going well.  I'll probably run easy with him tonight.

So not ideal but still have a chip in the game. Fingers crossed the new year brings better luck

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Canyon Speedmax CF 9.0 Ltd Review

Reboot - It's all about 2024

Progressive Tempo