Last Friday Of The Month 5k - Hyde Park - December 2022

So after I had to can Battersea at the start of the month I snuck an entry in for this as a backup. Decent course and decent field generally and a day out in LDN, sounded like a pretty good idea and kept things interesting when I was a bit down.

Battersea was 3 1/2 weeks ago and timed with my restart after 2 weeks of illness. Since then I have done 3 weeks of 44, 43 & 44 miles (on for very similar this week). Obviously Xmas, Birthday & Cold / Snow have hampered the big miles but I have had some fairly solid sessions.

It's really hard to predict what I will run - especially as there is a big wind and rain forecast tomorrow BUT I do actually feel OK. Big issue has been conditioning - aches and pains - and they have been feeling better as the days / weeks go on. The good days are really good but the bad days are very laboured. Just hoping tomorrow I wake up with good legs.

Going forward the plan for January is going to be a big and boring month. Just get all the horrible strength work going and keep the sessions under control. February is indoor month and I'm looking forward to having a crack at that but I need that January start that I had in 2010 / 2012 to give me the kick start to knock out some times.

Tomorrow's race will be a benchmark for target pace / power. The plan right now is to start at around 330w and switch to HR for lap 2 as I am confident I can hold 171 - 173 bpm for the 2nd & 3rd mile and it should be a decent pace even in the wind.

The Race

Up at 7am, ended up being so tired I slept on the sofa until 8am !! Ended up getting a later train than I had planned which actually timed better.

2 x coffee, rice pudding and mobility before a hot shower.

Arrived at Hyde Park at 11.25. Toilets were opened but no shitter operational. Luckily didn't need it!

Warm up lap of the course from the start, got to the top of the hill and Garmin showing 8.30 pace which was way, way off. Stopped it and re started and continued to the end of the first lap (exactly half way) and Garmin was still showing 8.00 pace. Hacked into settings and changed to GPS only, ran down the hill towards the start and showing 6.08 pace - that's more like it, had me worried !!

Another toilet break and then start warm up routine of drills and strides at 12.

12.30 we are off. Settle in at the start as it's a bit mad. Outside top 20, then take a few up the hill past the Old Police Startion. Hit the lap split at 1km marker and it's 3.23 to bang on for a 16 high. Moving well along the top (wind behind) get into a good working group. Ease back to let someone take the wind at the turn. Split at 2km and another 3.23. Moving pretty well back towards the Police Station into the wind and then back on the 2nd lap. Past 3km marker and it's 3.27. Start to feel the pinch here but just sat behind 2 guys. We reel in a couple and pass. As we turn at the top end into the wind section just jostling for position. Miss the 4km split. HR is at 176 - highest at this stage of a 5k I can remember. Just trying to hold it together. Turn at the mosaic but loose touch with the group so solo head wind and I'm fading. Turn towards the finish and luckily its a nice drop downhill. Last turn I get passed by a young and quick finisher. I'm pretty much out on my feet. Switch screens and see it's very close to 17 mins. Cross the line in 10th place and stop it a few secs after in 17.04 so likely slightly quicker.

Head straight back afterwards as needed to dash home.

Overall, yeah it's a solid effort. 

It was VERY windy and although I had shelter for large parts it takes it's toll.

The course rolls a bit, uphill at the start then a few rolling bits. I would say it's not as fast as Storys and def not as fast as Battersea. Mentally though it's an easy course and I reckon if you did that regularly it would really be easy.

I felt tired and sluggish. I'm carrying 2-3 extra lbs from birthday / crimbo and def didn't feel fully charged today.

I really needed a workout, I haven't raced since early November and it takes me a few races to start moving well at pace. Last 800m or so I really started to fade.

So all in all it was solid but not spectacular. More time there already but with a few weeks more conditioning it'll come good. 

Next up 800m indoors on Monday !!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Canyon Speedmax CF 9.0 Ltd Review

Reboot - It's all about 2024

Start of Torun Specific Block