Going Veggy

Since Saturday I've sacked off meat.  There's no way I could go full vegan just yet, there's also no way I could completely commit  to giving up meat, it's just a short check to see how it affects performance.

I know a lot of the plant based shit is propaganda but I want to check for myself if there's any performance benefits to removing meat from the diet.

Diet wise, we've had vegan replacements for both breaded chicken and donner kebab meat.  Got to say, they were both bang on !  They tasted very similar - about 95%, texture was about 80% for both but if you do mix with other food it's hard to tell.  Obviously no greasy aftertaste so all good there.

Breakfast has been either porridge or eggs.  I struggle with dairy pre-workout so a switch to soya milk is still due (I do this occasionally) however I can take black coffee now.

Lunch has been cheese filled ravioli yesterday, leftover pizza Saturday and egg sandwich Sunday.  Like I say, full vegan is a bridge too far.

So, performance wise the acid test will be Saturday's race and to a lesser extent this morning's tempo.  Will report on those.

For now though, running well and comfortably at a decent pace. Feel a bit more alert, easier to get up in the morning.  Don't feel as bloated.  My niggles have not magically gone, no real difference there although I do feel more 'ready to run hard' - but saying that it's early days and I rested yesterday!

This is pre-threshold run today so will be interesting to see how that goes and see if early changes have a positive effect on PE, HR or pace (or all three hopefully!)

So, back from threshold....

6 mile @ 6.02/mm @ 159 bpm (bang on threshold)

Really didn't feel strong today. To be fair first half is up hill and headwind today so pace wasn't great to start.  Reached half at 6.12/mm avge.  Didn't feel like I could push that hard through the wind.

After turning back and starting the return, pace was good for the first part but started to struggle towards last couple of miles.  It wasn't hard, just didn't feel like the legs had the usual zip or power.

HR for pace isn't too bad.  Just before Biggleswade did this for same HR @ 6.08/mm so improvement there over time.

Possibly was not having enough protein to make up for lack of meat.  Possibly just a bad day. Either way this course is perfect because it's never going to be easy.

Legs / foot feel pretty good, just a slight twinge in Glute so shut cool down early

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Canyon Speedmax CF 9.0 Ltd Review

Reboot - It's all about 2024

Start of Torun Specific Block