Hip Watch

Yesterday didn't run. The plan was to run easy and rest today but seemed a much better bet to swap that out.

There is a 5k at Dorney on Saturday that I had an eye on running. It seems like taking that off the table gives me a much better opportunity to get myself back to health! The key right now is not turning a niggle into an injury.

If I am honest, I don't know if this is just aches and pains or if something more sinister is lurking. I'm pretty sure I can stay on top of this if I am careful. Lets face it, at 45 (very nearly 46) aches and pains go with the territory! But proper injuries mean long term set backs, not just the time out but 6-8 weeks to return to current fitness levels.

So what advice would I give someone else in my position? 

Don't stop running. That's not going to help right now.  But need to manage what running helps and what running doesn't. Up to steady pace should work ok, retaining conditioning and holding on to fitness is critical. But don't push anything.

Do more strength work. Because laying off is only going to stop the aches, it's not going to address the issues. I did a pretty solid strength routine last night. That should strengthen all the areas around the hip.  I will do that every evening now as primary focus. Ideally the DOMS will take away from the hip aches !!

Be sensible. Don't push anything now, the name of the game is to retain as much fitness as you can. If I can get to the new year still capable of 17 min 5k then I will be able to get that back down quickly once I start sessions again.

Do not drop all of the pace.  Keep the pace to around 6:30 - 6:45/mm.  I am not a million miles away from fitness holding that.  Going back to running everything at 7:30 - 8/mm won't work off 20-25 miles per week. Keep some pace there without having to push too hard. I think going below 5:45/mm will probably start activating things too much.

Run on the treadmill. EVERYTHING. It's going to lighten the load. Good shoes + treadmill = more chance of running pain free.  I'll do some road work when I'm a bit stronger but the treddy should give me a chance to run pain free initially.  See you on Zwift !!

Don't race. If I take all the races off the table I am happy to go to 'base'.  I have a perfect routine of sessions that I know makes me fast. They aren't going anywhere. It's quite intense on the body though so I can't just blast through and hope everything holds together.

Funny enough I feel the ache in my glute sitting here. I am pretty sure sitting is a big contributor. Need to address my sitting muscles !!

Only Run 5 days per week until it feels better.

OK so I have the rules, now I need to consider the plan !

Base speed - 14.5 kmph - this should be where I settle the majority of my work. If I can handle this for a while I should be able to push on with OK fitness.


Mon - REST

Tue - 30 mins slight progression @ 14.5 kmph -> 16 kmph

Wed - Mile easy, 3 miles @ 16 kmph, 1 mile easy

Thu - 45 mins @ 14 kmph

Fri - REST

Sat - 30 mins @ 14.5 kmph

Sun - 60 mins alternating 15 kmph and 14 kmph


That should be pretty relaxed running to start with. It's down on current road paces and should keep me pretty healthy for when I start to re-build (Daz 2.0).  Actually, taking this into Christmas period shouldn't be a huge problem as nothing there is anywhere close to the sessions I have put in.

Post edit ...

First run done. 30 mins @ 6:27/mm so around 15 kmph. Felt easy enough running, stopped at 21 mins to stretch out. I ramped up to 16 kmph but really felt that starting to work the hip. Stretched and pressured then back on. 15-15.5 kmph feels much more comfortable.

Am I happy running like this? Not really, it's absolutely NOT ideal but I think I should be able to get out the other side. The treadmill should help keep things moving.  The reality is I need to do what running I can without causing more damage whilst I simultaneously strengthen the hip muscles.  That's my only way out !

Glutes achey afterwards but some stretching and it just feels like fatigue. I will do the strength set again tonight and hopefully that's what's aching. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Canyon Speedmax CF 9.0 Ltd Review

Reboot - It's all about 2024

Progressive Tempo