Achilles Tendon Niggle #347

Happy new year etc. etc. 

Achillies is a bit ouchy so probably best I get blogging on what's working and how long it takes to get back.

Bit of a shitter if I am honest as the glute issue had seemed to resolve itself!

Plan was always to back off over Crimbo and then get back on the sessions in the new year.  Looking back, post 5k race in early Dec I had a solid week of running - 37 miles all fairly relaxed and probably sub 6.30/mm avge.

Seemed to pull my back on the 22nd. Flood at home 24th and then destroy myself with food and booze.  All without the niggle but seem to remember the boxing day hard tempo (at steady pace) I felt it slightly. On the 27th I backed off Sunday easy run very early (half a mile in) as it was aching.  Then I managed to run an easy double fine and got a session in on the 29th but it felt sore before and after (manged it fine during).  Scheduled day off and the treadmill 5 it was too sore.  That's Monday (double) Tuesday session, Weds (rest) Thurs (fail) and then Friday and Sat off completely as it wasn't right. Ran today and sore afterwards and slightly during.  

So that's the background.  Started on the 26th so I am just over a week in and had to take 2 complete days off and 2 busted runs.

Frustrating but timing is right.  Today's run was hit and miss. I was about 75% I would say but 6.30 pace felt less pressure, any faster or slower and it was more pressure. Best thing was that the pace felt very slow so conditioning isn't completely gone!

I added a heel riser. Wasn't great at first. Took it out and it was fine and then ached so double folded it and was much better as it took pressure off the achillies. It's likely that the heel tab on shoe is aggravating the issue as it's same spot.  Have extra heel risers to test tomorrow - it's not ideal as it'll load the quads up but it may help get me moving.

Tomorrow I'll test out the treadmill and try different paces. For now I think running at steady pace but getting some consistency in is key. The sessions will go on the back burner.

Rehab wise I am doing some movement stuff pre-run. Mainly ankle moblity as the lack of flexibility is causing the achillies to engage too much so I am aiming to have greater ankle flexibility (knee to wall test). I'll do small amount of calf raises but hold of the proper strength stuff until I'm running freely.

Post run, quite sore but icing and some hot treatment. Seems to help. 

Taking it day by day at the minute but the minimum target is 5 miles @ 6.3x pace to tick over. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Canyon Speedmax CF 9.0 Ltd Review

Reboot - It's all about 2024

Start of Torun Specific Block