Don't call it a comeback...

So today finally felt like I am finally turning a corner. It's been a long time coming, especially considering it was only really a niggle. I wouldn't say it was full on injury as I've been able to do some running but it's been a real bloody pain in the arse!

On a positive note, it does feel like I've got over the glute issues I had before this one so once it's fully cleared up I can start from a blank canvas.

Run today was 4.33 miles progressive with Jake. First mile up the hill in 7.25 for 146 bpm.  Felt hard work going uphill and was breathing pretty heavy at the top (158 bpm)

Second mile (stopped to stretch out at 1km) in 6.44. Pretty good. Was passed by Paul Vernon doing a solid run like we were nailled to the floor! Jacobs Garmin beeped at 6.33. Third mile up in 6.38 and a stop again to stretch out achillies. Got the last hill out the way (164 bpm).

4th mile down hill in 6.12 (fastest this year). HR 164 bpm (max 166) so hard work but that's not terrible. Just lack of conditioning and the last part at sub 6 pace for the first time of 2021 !

Pretty solid run. HR was high - but to be expected. Power 276w so just in the steady zone (although current fitness was more like tempo).

Feels like I am maybe a couple of weeks away from making some decent gains. The key now is to not fuck about and make sure I am putting in some solid paces and let the HR come back to me.

Fingers crossed the achillies responds well. Aim is to run tomorrow (5-6 miles easy and prob treadmill so ~140 bpm)

The main thing to come out of this is that the strength work has finally been taken on. This has been key and is likely to be key going forwards. I have spoken about it for years but addressing the fundamental issues is going to move this project forward.

The real key is going to be simplicity. A manageable routine that keeps me developing.

I will follow the plan of - first thing in the morning doing mobility and getting my hips, back & shoulders moving. 10 - 15 minutes every morning before my 2nd coffee.  Then short stretch and roll before running. Finally strength. Weighted calf raises to take care of the lower legs. Weighted lunges (heavy weight - sprinter, light weight - full return) really work on the glutes. Add in some basic pilates, balance leans and that's the main muscles taken care of.

Today I added in some plyo and this will be critical to get me steeplechasing. Started low - just jumps and single leg hops to step but I will progress to skipping rope and box jumps.

I am hoping the strength work will stop the morning aches as my bigger running muscles adapt to take the training load.

So that's the catch up. Fingers crossed I can put a couple of weeks in just running 6 x per week with some steady & tempo efforts here and there but mainly running pain free.  If I can manage that then I can start to think about sessions and the master plan !





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Canyon Speedmax CF 9.0 Ltd Review

Reboot - It's all about 2024

Start of Torun Specific Block