Deminishing Returns

Since last weekends great training, something has not been right.

I feel OK, yesterday I did feel ill but apart from that it only seems to aappear when I am running.  Tuesday & Wednesday I noticed it more - everything felt harder than it should.  Today it felt easy enough (until I lifted effort) but pace felt very slow.

I did my HR test today.  Same route (shorter warm down) but hotter and windy which would have contributed to worse results.

Last week paces were 7.25, 6.12, 6.03, 5.47.

This week paces were 7.19, 7.05, 7.05, 6.51.

Clearly something is not right!  7/mm feels very very comfortable and slow which is a great sign.  Even if this drags out that is a very solid base to build from.  It's lifting effort that's feeling tough.  160 bpm felt like tempo and I wouldn't have fancied much more than a mile of it today even at 6.51 pace!

The title suggests massive HR drift today.  By the time I got to the start of the following mile my HR had crept to that band already meaning I didn't have to pick up the pace at all, I was already in the right effort zone!

Not too concerned yet, last weekend I ran awesome.  23 miles @ 6.25 pace for 154 bpm I can live with!  And it felt good :)

Will keep running with the HR.  I'll stick to 150 bpm until pace starts coming down to 6.3x.  Small setback but as always it's 2 steps forwards and one step back.

All the guys are running incredibly well in the group at the minute so need to be strong when I get back from Florida.  I am not going to do any specific speed work on holiday but I will be doing 2 sessions per week when I get back.  It will be time to target the half!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Canyon Speedmax CF 9.0 Ltd Review

Reboot - It's all about 2024

Progressive Tempo