Why do I do it ???

As I sat on the sofa this afternoon with my left calf wrapped up in frozen sweetcorn and a towel, I eyed up the foam roller that would agonisingly flatten out my torn calf muscle in 10 mins thinking 'why do I do this to myself' ???

I am an ex-runner, I could have been a contender blah blah.  But now I am a fat 35 minute 10k club runner dreaming of one last shot.  I wouldn't mind if like Stuart Stokes I was going to the Olympics and running 29 min 10ks - I used to beat him ;-)

I train lunchtimes at work, book family holidays around racing and training plans.  I miss kids parties and days out are shortened just to get a run in.  All for what ??

Today's run was a hilly 8 miles around Bourn.  The route was flooded and overgrown but I plodded out a half decent pace for this stage of fitness up until 5 miles when the calf started to pull tight.  I nursed myself home where I flaked out on the sofa (after taking a post exercise concoction of protein pills) and had the  thought that is the title of this post.  Not much fun trying to run on one leg!

Read yesterdays blog for another reason I am so pissed off with exercise this weekend !!

But I know I will always be a runner, even if I am shit.  I'll be injured and then come back and then be half decent before getting injured again.  I just love to run and stay fit.  I'll always want to beat the guys I train with and people in our area - that's just what makes us tick.

I don't really like long runs and tempo runs but I would give my right arm to be fit enough to go and do either of them right now.

I run because I love it !  I have nowhere to go but it feels like I do and there is something deep down inside that keeps niggling me saying there is one last big race inside.  So I'll keep trying to find it.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Canyon Speedmax CF 9.0 Ltd Review

Reboot - It's all about 2024

Progressive Tempo