Wiggle Steeplechase Sportive 2012

And so it's done and dusted.  90 miles on the bike - 47 more than my previous furthest DONE.

I didn't bonk, I didn't crash and I managed to keep moving as best as I could.  It wasn't great, it highlighted all the faults I know I have but I deliberatly picked a challenging course to show me exactly whats wrong. Pointless playing to my limited biking strengths at this stage.

Set off at just gone 8 with Ed, Kye & Ian T.  From very early on (first mile) I got dropped on a climb.  Decided that I was going to warm up on the opening half hour or so and decided against sticking with the guys from the off.  Slowly reeled the group in and stuck with them for a few miles.


Ed & Kye pushed on as my legendary shite hill climbing kicked in and I stuck it out with Ian T.  We caught a good group until disaster my chain dropped.  Got it quickly back on and eventually caught a good train.  22-23 mph for a good spell was blinding and got us back on track.

Went through the first hour at 18.4 (with chain stop) and hit the feed station at 25 miles feeling pretty good.

Set off soon enough and caught and worked with the BRJ gang.  Again, on a particularly bad uphill section (about 12 miles) I suffered and got dropped.  Ed & Kye pushed on and Ian T pulled me back.  This section to the 53 mile feed station was brutal for me and sucked the life out of my legs.

I REALLY needed the feed station - was already the longest ride of my life and I was almost done.  No sign of Ed & Kye and just as we're good to go they appear after going the wrong way #ouch !  Good for me as it extended the break.

Set off again for the last 38 miles. 2 miles go quick then it's a real slog for another 8 or so.  Hit Swineshead and the good roads pay off - a good 10 miles or so hitting well over 20 on most of it.

Start feeling the pinch around 100k in.  Know it's in the bag but it's a very tough workout.  These roads are a blur - we seem into the wind and uphill for most of it.  Work hard but I'm loosing the wheel and just want to fight the demons to get it done.  Boys are amazing - they hang back for me but it makes me feel awful being the one everyone is waiting for.

Last pit stop is a short one with 19 miles to go.  Back on the ride and it's a similar story - dropping off the back, guys wait for me, I catch up and I drop off the back.

We hit the mother and father of all hills with about 16 to go.  Bottom gear out the saddle forcing the peddals down just to keep moving.  Really work and its a false top as it goes on for another half mile or so.  Ian T & Kye decide to TT from here home and Ed nurses me in.  To be honest I don't think I would have made it without him and the guys - big big thanks and I owe you guys some running reps that's for sure!

There was a couple of last few long slow climbs to the finish and a nice fast decent into town.  Seeing that sign for Sawtry was such a good feeling I can tell you.

Didn't stop the watch at the finish but was 5.18 as I crossed the line.

So I got it done - for this I am incredibly proud of myself.  It was more than double my longest ride and I feel that I can get better.

It was as tough as I imagined and more than I hoped.  I don't do hills and this was 3,600 ft of climbing but there was little in the way of fast flat. 

When I did hit fast flat speed was OK.

Hills are my nemesis and I need to work on this.  I am dropping to 8mph by the end, got to get stronger.

Cadence too high because quads are too weak.  Got to strengthen these to push a bigger gear.  Liz from BRJ told me I was in too low a gear - push up.

Time on bike, got to pick up.  20 miles I am good for me and reckon I could do 20+ without too many probs.  After 3 hours I am dead in the water and that's just time in the saddle.

Got a thigh issue above the knee, hurt from half way and the real bastard hill pretty much finished me off.  Iced OK, will swim tomorrow and sleep well tonight - hope that's enough and it's not a bad strain.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Canyon Speedmax CF 9.0 Ltd Review

Reboot - It's all about 2024

Progressive Tempo