Ready for the 90

Big week this week - the Wiggle sportive that I have signed up to do a 90 mile ride in.  43 is my longest ride to date so it's more than double!  With Ian T, Kye & Ed on board there is NO backing out !!

Last week had an easy run focus week at Butlins.  A good swim set and a nice 8 miler @ 6.30 pace made the week a good one and gave my body a chance to recover a bit.

After not feeling so great on Mondays easy double, all Tuesday I was dreading running.  Had agreed to meet Monkey Dan for a 5 mile tempo from mine and was not looking forward to it.  Felt a bit rough and had to bosh a couple of neurofen.

Set off on the run and felt OK on the warm up.  Hit the tempo on the mile marker, heads down and crack on.  5.49 on the marker feeling good - happy days.  Dan struggled from about a mile and a half and I hung to back bring him round.  Felt really good and hit mile 2 in 6.00.  3rd mile Dan was breathing heavy we worked down from 6.20 pace to 6.10 and I said if we can run another one lets stop at 4 and do an extended warm down.  Pushed on and Dan dropped slightly back last 0.3 mile and I ended up with a 6.01 for a 6.01 avge for 4 miles and a HR of around 162/3 bpm.

That's fantastic stuff for me, really strong running at that pace and confidence that with a few miles that should be an achievable HM pace already.  Plenty of weeks to push on for the GER as well so running box is well and truely ticked this week :)

Wednesday did an extended recovery run with Andy at work.  8.5 miles @ 9.15/mm and legs felt a little tired and jaded from all the running (lol this from a 70 mile a week guy in marathon mode!!)

Today set out earlyish for a steady ride in preperation for Sunday.  Having set up my cadence meter was a good chance to see how I spin.  I heard 80 rpm is most efficient but Ian T says aim for 100.

Well, speed was really high from the start.  20+ mph from the off then 22-23 down the hill in Elsworth.  Good climb up Rogues hill then fast decent.  Hit 23+ mph on the run to Hilton feeling easy and peddled nice and controled 20+ to Fenstanton.

The next 5/6 miles up hill is my nemesis and today was no different.  I was fastest ever on all segments showing that I am improving but still far too slow for an aspiring Ironman.

Bourn was slow into the wind but the turn to Caxton and home was the fastest ever beating my KOM time on the Caxton-Cambourne split - happy, happy days :)

All in all 21.5 miles @ 19.2 mph.  A best ever ride and good confidence booster for Sunday.


Strava data above shows my shiny new best ride!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Canyon Speedmax CF 9.0 Ltd Review

Reboot - It's all about 2024

Start of Torun Specific Block