When to hold 'em and when to fold 'em

Training last week or so has been absolutely on point. I am fucking flying at the minute.  Everything from easy to tempo is A1. So obviously when anyone gets to the rarefied point in training that everything feels easy and you can't do enough - the niggle fairy hovers in the background ready to fuck you up.

To be fair I've had the foot / heel / plantar niggle for some time. I've managed it anywhere between can't feel a thing and agony to walk.  Sometimes one follows the other and in all honesty the painful side has been far less frequent than the non painful (or non existent) side.  I'll take that for a niggle.

Yesterday was a recovery run. Didn't wear HRM but wish I had. 7.08/mm shelling peas.  Possibly fastest recovery run ever, felt crazy low effort for that pace. Foot was a little achey afterwards and that continued today.  On top of that my glutes were a little tired which meant my back was a bit achey.

In marathon training I tend to just drift between various degrees of agony, neurofen usually does the trick.  Today though I am going to take a rest day from running and hope that it clears things up.  Did pilates this morning which helps massively and I'll do all my usual stretching and some weights later today.

Actually feel really good, could hammer out a solid tempo session today without much problem BUT I have to be patient (not be a patient).

Laying off the meat is seeming to be a big contributing factor to my current form.  I generally feel sharper and less 'bleugh' than I have been.  The only day I had chicken at lunch I slept for 90 mins on the sofa afterwards.  That plus all the stretching and being disciplined with drills for every run is 100% helping.

So rest today, probs coke club tomorrow, something tempo Saturday and long run Sunday. Hopefully foot holds up for all those for a pretty solid week.

Project 15.xx

Still looking into this.  My main concern is that I just can't get up to 50 miles per week. Pace wise - I am there. 

Looking at JD VDOT -

VDOT of 65 = 15.54 for 5km
equivalences -
4.16 1500m
4.37 1 mile
9.09 3,000m
33.01 10k

training paces -
Easy - 6.24-7.16/mm
Threshold - 5.32/mm
400 reps - 76
Km reps - 3.10

Now, I am waaaay off those race paces, however the training paces are either there (Easy & 400s) or very close (Threshold). I would assume I can knock out 5-6 x 1km in 3.10.

Threshold wise, I can get down towards that in a tempo but it has to be very flat !!

Looking at the charts I would say I am probably 62 VDOT at the minute, maybe bordering 63 on a good day.  Not a million miles off but I think I def need to put some adaptable training in. Adding in longer runs is easiest way right now, I'd like to double but not with this niggle.

Staying healthy is the big thing right now.  Next race is Wolverton 5. Ideally sub 27.30 there which puts me well inside my 16.30-17.00 5k window.  Not sure when I can get a proper Parkrun effort in either, it's possible early December is the weather is good but maybe mid Jan next year before I can put down a marker.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Canyon Speedmax CF 9.0 Ltd Review

Reboot - It's all about 2024

Progressive Tempo