And Rest

10 day streak and I am done! The plan was to keep building fatigue and build fitness for another week or so but I am battered today.

Session earlier did not go to plan! To be fair, the session on Tuesday was also pretty tired but I'm hoping good recovery now and the legs will start to take on the extra fitness I have built up over the last few weeks.

This week I have decided to do sessions outside - as I wanted to benhmark HR / Power and new weight against pace.

Tuesday - session was 3 x 2km, 2 x 1km at HM, 10k, 5k & 3k off 2 min jogs. It was windy on the busway and did not feel like a nice day at all! Reps were 6.05/mm, 5.51/mm, 5.31/mm, 5.47/mm, 5.40/mm. Decided last 2 to do at 10km as was pretty fucked!

Today plan was 5 mins at 10k effort followed by 8 x 400m off 2 mins. That did not work out at all. Warmed up really comfortably and into 3.30 and then 2 mins (needed a toilet stop lol) at 5.56 and 5.31 pace (effort seemed the same). Managed 4 x 400m before I pulled the plug as legs exploded on rep 1. Was a bit more windy on even reps and after rep 1 tried to scale it back a bit. 73, 79, 73, 81. Jogged back very comfortably at 6.50 pace.

Reality is I'm really, really tired. I just need to rest and stop chasing miles. With that said I'll not double tonight, will rest tomorrow (apart from some light S&C) and hopefully perk up for Parkrun on Saturday.

Bit frustrating that sub 5.30 pace seems beyond me at this stage. I expected top be rusty over the short stuff but the first 73 blew my bloody legs off.

I'll not jump into any knee jerk decisions yet but I am not feeling like I am anywhere near 5k ready. Longer stuff is good, down to 6/mm but the pay dirt seems unachievable.

I've banked (nearly) 12 weeks averaging over 50 miles so may switch back towards the old 5k training plan that worked for the run in to Battersea. Short reps on Tuesday and Volume reps on Thursday. If i did make a change I would switch out the weekend Parkruns for a solid steady state run and keep the long run. Overall I'll drop volume and try to do recovery runs on a hilly route for strength.

That said, it's very much plan B and depends on how Saturday feels !




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Canyon Speedmax CF 9.0 Ltd Review

Reboot - It's all about 2024

Start of Torun Specific Block