Plain and simple

Race today, Southern Mens League Division 2 N at Cambridge. My first track race since the GRE Cup final in 2000.

Preperation didn't go great. After a hard track session and bike on Tuesday, I did a hard swim (mile) and bike on Wednesday. Thursday managed 4 very tired miles running and was absolutely shattered at around 7.45 pace. Friday again was tired but went out for my brother in laws 'tame' stag do in the evening. Had a curry & 3 beers after a big pub lunch. Wasn't 100%, had an afternoon nap and lots of sleep Thursday / Friday night. Not sure what was wrong but was feeling wiped out both days.

So to race day, wokr up fine. Got to the track at 3pm just in time to see the 5000m. The C&C boys all had cracking races. CW, BrotherJohn from fetch (a storming 16.38) & Al (17.02) all running great guns. Alex from Hunts AC / BRJ clocking 18.06 after a fast start. So all revved up to have a crack at a decent time.

Warm up fine feeling ok. Until I do a barrier warm up and my adductor doesn't like it. Decide to put foot on for first few laps and hope it loosens up.

Go straight into the race and settle in behind DC & a C&C guy. All seems fine for a lap and a half. Foot on each barrier and cutting the water jumps fine but over all I am in decent shape. Start to drop back a bit and can't really close. Big gap appears quickly and by half way I am really struggling (although hurdling barriers is OK now). Start feeling gutted and try to keep the concentration going and keep working to stay 3rd. Last 2 laps are a blur, catch the last barrier really poorly and think I jogged the last 10 metres or so to run a shade over 11 mins and miss a po10 ranking with comfortably my slowest 3k chase ever !

Felt awful at the end, poor performance and gutted to flop across the line with my head down. Had a lot of time to think about it now and I am just not in the 10 min shape that I thought I was. That was far too ambitious. Need to run 4/5 races to get race fit and the speed / consistency in the legs - I can't just turn up and take it for granted.

Probably should go out at 10.30 pace next time and aim to finish strong.

Also need to get some more running volume in. More 10+ mile runs in, can't keep sitting at 5/6 miles each day no matter how fast.

Will race Werrington 5k on wednesday to hopefully get some confidence back if anything. At the moment I'll be happy to get a sub 17 in and not worry about pb's. That will probably help me pace myself better.

So need to train harder, race smarterm be healthier and all will be fine!

Have 2 x 5k & one more track race to finish the season and want to finnish on a high.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Canyon Speedmax CF 9.0 Ltd Review

Reboot - It's all about 2024

Progressive Tempo