Tempo

Bit of a Tempo session tonight. Plan is 10 mins warm up into 15 mins @ 158 bpm, rest for a minute, 15 mins @ 162 bpm and then 10 mins cool down.

The 158bpm section represents roughly what marathon pace should be when I have plenty of long runs in the bank (allowing drift to avge 162-165 bpm for the marathon).

The 162bpm section should represent half marathon pace (closer to 170bpm for the race overall).

The hard sections came out at 6:44/mm for 155bpm avge (was low to start and ended up topping to 159bpm) and 6:21/mm for 161bpm.

Really pleased with these and Sundays half marathon I will go off at 6:20
pace and see what happens. Ideally it will feel good and I'll be able to push on but at the moment things are not looking ideal so I will just see how we go.

Beats Per Mile is an interesting stat I try to keep an eye on. It's a good guage for how your training is progressing and a good comparison between sessions.

I know if it's sub 1100BPM for a standard run then I am going well. Tempo work with warm up / cool down is going well at 1050BPM and races / hard tempos are going well at sub 1000BPM. The fitter you get, the less cardiac drift so sessions and distances should be entirely comparable. All around fitness = matching BPM !

My last 2 runs since the race on Sunday have been really good figures, considering last month my BPM only dropped below 1100 once things look pretty good. In fact the readings are around where they were at the start of July when I ran 16.49 - not flying but a good place to be !

Todays harder effort although only 6:21 pace felt quick due to the fact that I have done little speed work. the good news is that I did feel strong as it went on which shows the miles are slowly starting to pay off. I have said time and again that for me get the volume done and the pace will follow.

Plan for tomorrow is to run very, VERY slow for 10 miles. Then Thursday I am trying to get my 4th long run in a row in the bank and make it a proper long run !

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Canyon Speedmax CF 9.0 Ltd Review

Reboot - It's all about 2024

Progressive Tempo