800m #ouchy

As planned did the 800m at the Cambs open tonight at St Ives.

Felt pretty shite all day but was always going to get something done.

Warmed up OK, really do need to do a solid warm up nowadays for anything with effort. The body can't go from cold to hot anymore!

Up in the first race. Had to wear the 4% rather than spikes, but if I'm going to take track serious that's going to have to change!

Gun went off, race was a mixture of kids, girls and a couple of old farts (me included). Straight to the back at the start. I'd love to claim great tactics but I just couldn't get going. Bit like the 1000m I did I was struggling for pace but down the back straight got back on the back of the 2nd group (3 kids were away). Round the bend, had to sit back as a fellow old fart was in lane 2 so I was blocked.

Made the pass on the home straight then dug in at the bell.  72 at 400m - slower than my mile on the road!

Pushed on now and in 4th place about 5-6 secs down on the group. Worked hard on the back straight and kicked (lol) off the last bend to finish in a neg split 2.23.6.

Not exactly flying (was finishing sessions in that a few years ago) but considering recent issues and a general lack of pace I'll take that!

Reckon I can go sub 2.20 this year.  Got to admit I am loving the track.  The plan is to keep up the long tempos but it's hard to ignore the draw of track speed.  Could even consider doing a winter of track sessions and seeing how that goes?  Who knows where the focus will go.  5k seems my best distance at the minute but I will have a play about with the track stuff this year to mix it up a bit.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Canyon Speedmax CF 9.0 Ltd Review

Reboot - It's all about 2024

Progressive Tempo