Ante Up

East Anglian League today.  Interesting day as between myself, Jake & Sawyer we covered a ruck load of events (9 between us).

My first event was the 800m.  After Wednesday I was confident a) I could run in spikes this time and b) I could go under 2.20.  Gun went off and settled in decent position. Pretty much isolated in 5th place but confident I'd hold off the guys behind.  Exactly same as Wednesday I didn't start moving well on the first lap.  Pushed as much as I could in 72 secs at the bell.  Not confident of a sub 2.20 I just worked hard on lap 2.  Caught a fast starter and pretty safe in 4th place. Miles and miles behind the first 2 (2.02 & 2.05) in 2.23.3.  3/10ths quicker than Wednesday.

Sat back for a couple of hours then warmed up for the 1500m.  Really wasn't feeling great as legs felt heavy.  About 20 in the race as they combined a full u17 field.

Started off and dropped in to the back, pace felt quick but manageable. 75 first lap and I'm right at the back and the field is strung out single file like a diamond league.  I'm over 10 secs down on the leaders already!

Just focus, guys in front slow a little and a young kids comes past and I tack on.  We pass 4/5 over next 100m or so and keep moving on.  Through second lap in 2.31 - nice pacing.  We're still moving past people and I catch Pete & Marcus at the bell. 3.31 at the bell.  I'd be lapped in a Diamond League  FFS!

Push on, pass the kid and a few others. Make a dig at 200m and that's the last match. It's hang in time now.  Guy passes me at pace and I hang on as best as I can. It's not pretty but I cross the line in 4.45.0.  Not exactly amazing but I 'm happy with that as I didn;t think I'd go sub 5 before the gun!

Really enjoyed the track this week.  It's much more fun than the plodding.  The draw is towards it for the fun factor.  It's also much better return for the time invested.

Simple facts are - I do need to loose more weight & I need to do some speed work.  Can't run fast 1500m off 7/mm runs!!

Next up is Peterborough 5k.  I think I'll look at doing speedwork after that and push onwards through winter.  Problem is that I'll have to put in some work on the diet to loose weigth rather than just upping the miles.  Maybe should have swerved the dirty doner kebab on the way home lol


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Canyon Speedmax CF 9.0 Ltd Review

Reboot - It's all about 2024

Progressive Tempo