Ken Leader Special

Session today, first 'proper' session on the new plan.  A 1,500m winter special from the days I was one of Ken Leader's Red and Gold army!

12 x 400m off 30 seconds recovery. 

The session is aimed to build lactic quickly and then buffer it for probably the last 8 reps.  It works the legs, the cardio and the mind.  There are no easy days on this one.  We did this all winter back in the day and it was a mainstay and there was nowhere to hide.

Met up with DC and on a lovely warm day we knocked out alternate reps.  Started with a 77, then a 75 then pretty much 75s and 76s through the card apart from one 77.  Avge of 76 - very happy with that I I had hoped for 78 avge before the session.  Clearly in decent nick.

Best ever session was 65 avg and probably in 14.30 shape for 5k back then so I'd pin a tail on 72 avge being good enough to crack 16 mins.

Tough work today but alternating reps does give a lot more focus as you're basically counting in twos.  The follow reps were actually harder and I felt much better leading out - most of the early 75s were mine so happy days.  DC looked stronger towards the end, I think he was working harder but he is much stronger mentally and has much better conditioning than me at the mnute.

Enjoying the mindset of this new regime.  It's pretty low mileage but the quality is there.  Tomorrow is back to the progressive 5.  Really need to stretch well tonight.

Saturday I am off to Venice for 4 night s for the anniversary but I will be at Parkrun to either run hard tempo or do some kind of km reps.  Ideally I'll bank something decent and then rest Sunday.  I can get something quality done Monday / Tuesday on treadmill and come back ready to keep building.  I have a solid month to bank speed.  I think the new plan will give me that at least as it's lots more focus.  Mentally I thin I turn into a blomange when I'm running easy / steady.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Canyon Speedmax CF 9.0 Ltd Review

Reboot - It's all about 2024

Progressive Tempo