Breaking Daz

So I've decided to go for it and just run miles - old skool marathon fitness building. 

I've missed a chunk of winter and there's nothing on the horizon.  The thought process is, make myself bullet proof by building a HUGE amount of conditioning.  It's an opportunity to make up for lost time.

Today was the first day I've felt the lack of conditioning bite.  Today's 8.5 miles at a shade under 8/mm felt like hard work!

It's amazing when you get into a comfortable range consistently that the pace can stay high.  At 25-30 miles per week I reckon I could average 6:40/mm for the week.  Last 4 days I've run about 34 miles and it's taking it's toll.

I'll come out the other side - something has to give - but the desperation to sack it off for a day is unreal!  A couple of weeks of decent (for me) miles will really help in the long run.

It makes it harder now the sun is out.  Back off to 30 miles a week with some tempo work and speed work would be cool, but if I want to break the cycle I have to do something different and out of my comfort zone.

Started on the treadmill last night trying to adapt, it's looking increasingly likely that will be my only run option soon!  It went surprisingly well, I think if I double day I can get 8 in per day but any more will be a big ask for a while.

Foot is better - it's kinda like my old shin problem - it's there but not causing any undue issues.  Just fucking annoying!  Lots of stretching and rehab still.

Legs are still trashed with DOMS from the lunges and hurdles on Friday.  Hopefully that subsiding will help too.

Almost laughable how tough 8 miles a day is considering how much I used to do.  70 a week would be a real target but I think that's going to be a few cycles away yet.

So the plan is to take each day as it comes.  Run as many miles as I can for a couple of weeks.  I'll definitely need a rest day - probably before then - and do something like a hardish 10k once it's done.  That should give me a fitness guage.  I don't mind backing to 40 mpw but I want to be running easy at low 6's - that way I know at least I can run a hard 5k.  As it is now I'd need to pace one perfectly to get a half way respectible time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Canyon Speedmax CF 9.0 Ltd Review

Reboot - It's all about 2024

Start of Torun Specific Block