Start talking sense

After a recent run of fairly legible and half interesting quality blog posts I seem to have gone back to waffling absolute bollocks this week!

So, and just to help me, I'm going to clarify my strategy.

Training Plan volume 4,972 -

Build a routine of 2 weeks endurance, 1 week tempo specific quality, 1 week track speed specific quality.

Endurance week
Focus - build mileage, double days, longer runs, trail runs.
Aim - to build economy, conditioning, bouncebackability

Tempo specific quality
2 x tempo sessions (1 shorter tempo, 1 longer threshold)
Longer run done at 'pace'
Average pace in the steady range, rest over recovery runs where possible. 
Only one run per day, with focus on rehab

Track specific quality
2 x track sessions (1 longer at 3k pace, 1 flat out with near full recoveries)
1 threshold session (because, you know!)
Runs between quality done very easily to HR to aid recovery

The final week is the key week.  This is the area the previous weeks are trying to bring on.  I would hope to get 2 maybe 3 races in this period (which will count as a Q run).  The races I will use to set training paces - that and HR.

So I am hoping to loop through 3 recursions of this, which brings me to the end of May.  That gives me time to asses options with races to target.

Whilst I am doing this I will continue the flexibility and hurdle work I'll need to steeplechase.  Started tonight!

Currently on week 2, loop 1 of endurance.  Absolutely knackered - but mainly from illness and hangover (idiot).  Paces are OK.  Mileage has been 49.5 and will be 41 this week.  Next loop I hope to be running closer to 60, the fitness from here should help (that's the plan).

Looking forward to dialling back the miles, getting some structure and hitting tempo next week if I am honest.  Last threshold was about 6.17/mm so hopefully that's closer to 6 flat this time.

I also need more structure - it's severely lacking in my training plan recently.  Miles away from what I advise the boys!

Next week the plan is to go back to the old sessions that I looped over weekly with some success -

Mon - REST
Tue - 4 miles tempo (St Ives) with a solid mile warm up.
Wed - 6 @ 6.xx
Thu - 4 miles threshold (within 6 miles) on the hill route
Fri - 6 steady @ 6.xx
Sat - 5 steady @ 6.xx
Sun - 10 @ 6.xx on road / trail

This should set me up nicely, once I start nailling those threshold and tempo runs I'll hammer 5k times down.

The track quality week will look something like -

Mon - 5 easy
Tue - 4 x km @ 3k pace
Wed - 8 very easy
Thu - 8 x 200 off 200 walk - flat out
Fri - rest
Sat - 6 miles threshold 
Sun - 8 miles steady / easy trails

Again, the 3 Q sessions should set a marker.  I think I may be racing 2k on the Tuesday night so that will just swap out!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Canyon Speedmax CF 9.0 Ltd Review

Reboot - It's all about 2024

Start of Torun Specific Block