Changing up the plan - week 1

This week I have mostly been ... doing miles.

So first 8 weeks of the year I slowly (and consistently) built from 20 to around 30 miles.  Kept some Q in there with track and tempo and the paces were pretty good.  The main issue for me was the rate of progress was getting too slow.  Don't get me wrong, I was (am) in pretty good shape but I needed to change things up.

So this week decided to go bigger (for me anyways!)

7 days run (11 runs)
49.4 miles
7:35/mm avge pace

Doubled up the start of the week to bulk the miles, by Friday though I was pretty battered and today I was napping before I even ran!

Decent start, have to admit I wanted to hit 60 but the Q sessions take too much out of me.  Will continue next week and try to get used to running this volume but off mainly single sessions.

Longest run was a mere 7.3 miles so work to be done there but nce the weather picks up this will be a hundred times easier.

Quad aches from the 200s and the plantar issue is still there (didn't help booting the door today after banging my elbow FFS).

But anyways, got the first week done, pace is in check for this (I'm more than double avge mileage) and can build from here.  Need to make sure I continue the S&C work.

Really hard to focus on anything when you're this tired, can't even imagine a 17 high parkrun at the minute but I know rested I'll be OK.  Weather is pony for a while, I'll ether race the 2,000m at Corby or do the Parkrun in Stoke before English Schools XC next.  Both give me a couple more weeks to adapt that I need.

Last year 40 mpw with 3 Q sessions put me around 16.30-16.45 shape.  Hoping 50 will be enough to get me the extra bit needed.

TP wise I am hoping to get back to around 50 CTL and then be able to hang around there for a week before bringing the freshness in and racing.  That looks like I'll be mid April which is perfect time wise. 

Currently I am 38 CTL 56 ATL and -18 Fresh.  Comparatively I was 51 CTL 55 ATL -1 Fresh when fit last year and comfortably in 17 min flat shape.  Actually held those numbers for months (that was planned).  This year I will experiment getting up to 60 CTL and keeping ATL and Fresh the same.

So plan is 2 more weeks of much the same.  Not a lot of interest, just fitness building.  Once I get to 50 CTL I'll probably back off for a couple of weeks and let my body catch up before pushing on!  I do really need to focus on stretching and flexibility for the next week or so to back out of this mental slump.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Canyon Speedmax CF 9.0 Ltd Review

Reboot - It's all about 2024

Progressive Tempo