Week 1 - Brave New World

First week of lockdown bagged.

60.1 miles @ 7:50/mm avge

Ended up running pretty much 8.5 miles every day.  One double, the rest singles.  Pretty much all miles have been easy running at around 8/mm

As I said yesterday I have enjoyed just running for the sake of miles again.  It's very reminiscent of the old days - come back from injury with a marathon in mind - except this time am I fuck doing a marathon !

Handled the miles pretty well, the biggest knock backs have been because I have had DOMS from strength and conditioning work !  8/mm feels like walking pace some times which is a great sign.  It feels a very natural 'easy' pace and I can focus on form and not worry about pushing.

Few tired patches later into runs but that's to be expected off no real recent mileage. This is the first time I've been over 60 since 2012 (March 2012 off a 27.10 for 5 miles).

Thinking on today's run, there is a MINIMUM of 12 weeks before absolutely any chance of racing so it's very important to bring this pace down slowly.  Any tempo work whatsoever will be purely to relieve boredom, so the focus is very much on keeping a lid on effort.  This does not mean I'll be running everything at 8/mm - if consistent mileage down't being pace down below 7/mm for the same effort I'll have failed miserably!  Also the trail routes I am using are not quick, if I ran on road I think the same effort would be under 7.30/mm.

Next week the plan is to continue as-is.  8-9 miles per day, possibly go slightly longer one day to 11-12 ish and see how that goes.  My legs don't feel capable of doubles right now so I'll keep things to singes and bring in more and more S&C and hurdle type work to increase strength.  At some stage I'll start adding in short hill bounding and strides at the end of runs.

12 weeks is a long time, looking back over online diaries from decent spells of running (they're easy to spot as there are so fucking few of them) this is more than enough to get me into pb shape.

Only issue is my right foot - the plantar issue is painful and I've developed a painful pain under big toe joint.  Possibly the new Vomeros I'm currently wearing in.  It's strange as it only really hurts after about 8.5 miles.  Lots of rehab and hopefully the easy miles start improving it in the same way my shin heeled last year.

The Vomeros have made the permanent shoe rotation.  My love with them started in 2009 when they healed my shin splints from the first run.  They were a staple through 2010.  Then in 2017/2018 I bought 2 versions that were shit.  The new ones seem more like the old ones (I think the Vomero 3 were the first pair I had, these ones are 14!)

So next week - aim is to keep the same trail runs in, probs rotate the same routes.  Some seem considerably better than others.  Might try heading straight up to Toft and explore tomorrow and will head to Wimpole at some stage,

I'll run a full week next week but Friday & Sunday last week I did decent days, the streak is actually 80 miles in 9 days.  I really need a rest day but I'll hold on for another week if the foot holds up.

The plan will be to keep consistent miles around 60 per week and as I adapt to longer stuff slowly increase.  I don't want to go much over 70 at any stage as it's not going to return anything I am looking for.  It's still amazing to me how far 8 miles feels at the minute. 

I'm pretty sure I won't double until we face lockdown.  I think it's going to be a route to injury, 20-30 hours between runs is enough to make things hurt less.  That said, once this foot heals I think I'll be in a strong position as the rest of the body feels bang on.


So the full lockdown - believe me, it's coming - I will obviously do everything on the treadmill.  I'll have to double I reckon, probs 3 first thing and 4/5 later on. It'll take a couple of weeks adaption to get above 7 miles a day!

Motivation is pretty good but a week is a long time in running!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Canyon Speedmax CF 9.0 Ltd Review

Reboot - It's all about 2024

Progressive Tempo