Weekend of excess

....again !!!

After a big bike day on Wednesday, I carded zero days for Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Thursday was preparing for Edinburgh, Friday was booze fuelled mayhem and Saturday was recovery !!!

I actually have made the decision to hang up the drinking boots until after the Ironman. I can't put my finger on it but alcohol just does not like me! I am dreary and sluggish for days afterwards and it just makes me make bad decisions with nutrition, training and everything. The simplest thuing is to walk away from it for now and give myself the best opportunity to get fitter.

Edinburgh was a blast though. Consumed everything from Champagne to Petron (coffee/tequilla shots) with various lagers and ales thrown in. Ate at the Witchery (amazing restaurant) and made a royal fool of myself with my drunken behavior! Like I say, alcohol is not my friend!!

Saturday was a junk food fuelled self pity fest whist I nursed a huge hangover and empty wallet. The decision was already made, Ironman takes no prisoners and I am weak - I need to up my game.

Early to bed Saturday and slept like a corpse. Sunday was up to meet Ed at Hilton nice and early so quick peddle down the hill (7 miles in 22ish mins) then horror - had forgotten phone and not left my race number out for GER that Kye was 'borrowing'. So Ed and I blasted the short route back to Cambourne, got the details out and peddled off.

Aim was to get a 45-50 ish in with a coffee stop. Headed down the old A428 to Hardwick and dropped down to Comberton to see if Burwash manor was open - fail ! Back down to the village sports center and got a cup of tea in reception. Biked back along the link road to Longstow then the blast up to Caxton, the bike killer road to Papworth and up to Hilton. Said our goodbyes and I rode the quick way back.

Scores on the doors, 43 miles in 2.20 (18.4 mph avge). Happy days. Really enjoyed this ride because even though the pace was good it was a real social ride. 2 up side by side riding and chatting. We didn't smash anything we just rode solid and this is the most comfortable I have felt on the saddle. 100% I could do Ironman at this pace which I think is around 5.55 pace - happy, happy days !!

Got home and rushed about as we had a kids party. Found out the #stIvesElie had absolutely smashed the Great Eastern Run to pieces with some monster performances! Dan ran a stonking 1.21 which I knew he would do at least as he's flying. Brooksy got his first sub 1.20 with a 1.19.30 - awesome running and I am sure a lot more to come. Super DC ran a solid 74.30 on tired legs and Kye - running in my name - ran 73.03 !! I should try and get that removed from my powerof10 as I'm not entirely comfortable with a faster time than my best being claimed!

Kids party done, tidied up the house a bit and fed the kids then off for a steady run. Pushed it a little probably because of the guys running so well and wound up with 5.3 miles @ 6.37/mm avge.

Solid days running and ended up with an 8 hour week but with 3 days off that's not a good way to do things.

So, big decision to put the booze on ice while I do Ironman. I want to be firing and my running is too far behind the ball. Will lift it to 35 miles at least this week and get a sold swim session in. Bike will naturally go well as I am enjoying it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Canyon Speedmax CF 9.0 Ltd Review

Reboot - It's all about 2024

Progressive Tempo