Tempo Toosdey

Tempo tonight.  After a standard 4.5 & 5 yesterday over the trails I decided on only 1 run today.  Weight is about where it needs to be so the focus is shifting towards quality over volume.

Hopefully tomorrows run will confirm that as I need to be under 10 st 13 lbs after the run and I can pull the plug on a volume first approach.

So tonight.  DC couldn't make it so it was a solo effort.  Strong warm up (7:20/mm) and some drills.  Must say the legs felt pretty good beforehand.  Decided to do last weeks route in reverse so bigger downhill start but a longer drag in mile 3.

First mile settled in to 5:50/mm felt ok but it is downhill.  2nd mile through town and the twists bought the pace avge up to 5:57/mm at one stage but 5:54/mm by the end.  Quick laces stop then into 3rd mile.

HR was well under control at around 163 bpm here which is surprising. I did feel much more comfortable tonight but head wasn't 100% in it.

Mile 3 uphill and pace creeps up to 5:55/mm by the end.  Turn back towards the track and slight downhill to flat finish.  Keep the pace right there. Last 0.3 mile was tough tonight but much less than last week and I think it was mainly mental.

Not having DC pushing me on probs cost me a good 5 secs per mile.

Positive note was that HR was really good - 163 bpm avge for the tempo part which is lower than half marathon effort (I wouldn't be able to hold that - not enough conditioning ... yet !)

Off that I would fancy a solid 5k effort rested in an evening race for sure.  I'd say I'm looking at 17:45 maybe right now but we shall see!  Still 3 weeks till Peterborough 5k series so at this rate I'll be confident by then of having a good go.

Paces across the board have crept down. It's not setting the world alight but we are moving into the realms of reasonable fitness at long last.  Not going to waste the fitness this time!

Plan tomorrow - very easy 10 miles for conditioning.  If weight is low I will do weights instead of run Thursday but I'm not stressed at the minute.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Canyon Speedmax CF 9.0 Ltd Review

Reboot - It's all about 2024

Progressive Tempo