Rest or run

Currently on a 10 day run streak of 80 miles.  I am, to be honest, pretty fucked.  Mind you, every morning I wake up feeling that I need a rest and I end up getting it done.

The plan today is an easy 10 miles (VERY easy) and expecting pace to be around 9-9.15/mm so it really is a doddle.  Mind you it is absolutely chucking it down so not the worst day to card a zero.  I have to admit it is likely !!

Yesterday got out in the morning for the standard 4.5 route around the trails at a nice easy pace to woke the legs up.  Headed to the track in the evening and fancied a tempo - it's been a long while since I've done anything productive on the road. DC called on route and that was that, the easy bail out was taken away!  4 mile tempo on the town route.

Half a mile warm up outside the track at 7:20/mm feeling good, met DC then headed for the tempo.  First mile settled down to 5:56/mm feeling pretty good and chatting most of the way (even I managed to get a few words out).  Down the hill towards town on mile 2 and the pace is really good and I feel pretty damn pleased with myself.  Average pace down to 5:54/mm too so confident we'll keep the pace under 6's even with the shit last 2 miles.

Third mile is twisty and a bit shite at the end of the old 3k training loop.  Miss a few breaks so lots of accelerations to catch up then easing back.  Again, feel great for most of the mile, even thinking sub 5:50/mm could be on.  Avge pace by the end of the mile is 5:53/mm. 5km at a better pace than I managed to race last year and I'm still able to talk (ish).  By now the effort is starting to show and it's starting to feel horrible - but saying that it's still very much tempo effort.

Like a tit I left my HRM in the car and couldn't be bothered to go and get it before the start.

Last mile I am shocked how quick we burn the straight from fire station to the pub.  The last 1,000m is now uphill to the finish and the second my foot hits the incline my HR rises. Up to the lights and I'm struggling, turn at Hill Rise and I'm in survival mode for the last 400m.

Finish can't come quick enough. 5:56/mm avge for 4 miles and cool down after a short walk to make the session 5.6 miles @ 6:20/mm - best numbers for a LONG time.

Happy days, really needed something to show the miles are paying off so good indicator here. 5 weeks of solid training and I'm in reasonable shape.  Let's not get carried away though, it's still shit just an awful lot less shit than it was!

I'd say at 3 miles if the rest was flat I could have comfortably ran 5 miles at that effort. 10k would be a struggle at the minute but I think I'm confident of being a chunk under sub 18 5k & bang on 37 10k shape at the minute.

Back for the football and what a game. #COYS tonight, would be something else if we can get in on that final!

Woke up this morning, weight down to 11 st 1lb which is lowest morning weight. Cut out all snacks yesterday and went to be fairly hungry.  Was ravenous at breakfast this morning.

To be fair weight loss is the only reason to run today. I know I need to rest but I'm so close to target now, just need to keep the focus and eyes on the prize.

Legs all OK today, feel pretty good to be fair. The actually tend to feel better after hard sessions than plods!!  I could run, I have a funny feeling it'll be awful if I do, however the rain is putting me right off.  My legs still aren't right enough for the treadmill - strangely it makes it worse that running outdoors.  If I don't run it'll be 100% focus on diet and rehab.  Ideally I'd rest tomorrow as it's pilates and I can double up with some S&C but it's looking like it may be today.

Plan for the rest of the week would be standard double runs Thurs, Fri, Sat & maybe something longer Sunday.  Try to keep it over 50 miles for the week and maybe off the back of the rest day bring the steady run pace down a bit.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Canyon Speedmax CF 9.0 Ltd Review

Reboot - It's all about 2024

Start of Torun Specific Block