Thursday Tempo

Settled on the tempo tonight.  Decided I just needed to man up a bit. Or person-up if we're being PC.  I'm training fairly hard so things are going to ache!

Got to the track, did a solid mile warm up at 6:48/mm. Felt OK.  Did usual drills and stretching.  Have to admit that as much as this is a pain in the arse it does help.

Out to car park (via Wayne giving me kids hoodies we'd ordered) and into main part of the session.  4 miles at around 160 bpm (threshold).  Downhill mile 1 very low 6s and HR, 2nd and 3rd miles mainly flat and felt fine just keeping the HR down and pace around 6:10/mm avge.  Target was 6:15/mm so happy days.

Last mile up hill and the HR goes lunar again. Feel OK to be fair but up to 170 bpm on the steep part is way too high and pace is only about 6:20/mm for that.

Finish up with 4 miles @ 6:13/mm (161 bpm) so decent session.

Walk a bit to let the HR settle back down then into steady cool down.  End up pushing it a bit to get under 40 mins for 10k so 1.3 miles @ 6:32/mm (161 bpm) felt pretty easy again.

At 160 ish bpm HR is rock solid and I feel strong.  Pace isn't there yet, need few more weeks for this to get to sub 6s.  Once it gets up towards 170 bpm I am on borrowed time.  That's probably max 5k race effort.  I really need to build the engine a bit more to get that threshold pace down below 6's then I reckon I could push towards towards 5:30s on the hard efforts.

I see some hills in my future soon!

Glad I got tonight done. Decent effort and 2nd session of the week. Will aim to roll out longer on these 160 bpm efforts

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Canyon Speedmax CF 9.0 Ltd Review

Reboot - It's all about 2024

Progressive Tempo