Keep the swelling but take away the pain

Good joke that one !!

Rest day today. After last nights decent tempo for some reason my knee swelled up in bed.
Not exactly sure but Dr. Internet tells me it's likely ITBS.  Swelling is fairly localised to top outside of right knee and isn't painful.  Get that 'fluidy' feeling when I extend and retract leg. Feels slightly tight to and some clicking on the tendons so looks like closer to the bone.

Don't remember banging it and there's no bruising so likely just a combination of several days hard sessions taking their toll.  Last nights tempo was just a push too far maybe.

Iced this morning and some hot / cold treatment in the shower and feels *slightly* better.

Body feels a bit achey and out of alignment today so a nice pilates / roll / stretch / cracking / movement session will hopefully assist.

Too early to tell how it'll react and if I'll be back on it tomorrow or Sunday yet but will play it by ear.  It certainly doesn't feel major in anyway (please don't jinx it) so I'll stay on top of the rehab and see what tomorrow brings.

Timing wise it really couldn't happen at a better time as there's nothing in the diary for ages, however that sub 16 train won't stick around for long.  But saying that I'm not going to progress carrying niggles and I'm in the best shape for 9 years so if we can agree anything then it's the fact I am patient !!

All being well with the knee it's looking unlikely that I'll get a track 5k in this year. The only race I can see coming is the EAL 800m in a few weeks and maybe a 1500m at a late season open meet.  I'll be looking to target a few Parkruns over the next couple of months though to dial in the pace.

Phase 2 of the master plan is to be able to run between 16.45 and 17.15 at Parkrun (so 16.30 'race shape').  Low 5.20/mm for parkrun without too much fuss.  After last nights tempo I'm very confident about that right now.  I think the track sessions really help buffer that pace, I am thinking though I really need to be doing them in flats rather than spikes.  The longer tempos also give a chunk of confidence.  I can't actually remember averaging much quicker than 5:52/mm for many tempos.  I did 5.35 I think with DC & Paul 2 or 3 times but they were practically race effort in peak shape. 

I really want to be running 5.35/mm at threshold or just above to get that pace right for a serious crack.

The biggest worry for me with Parkrun is always the early starts!  I really need a few under my belt to get into the right head space to run properly hard. Did that in 2013 at Peterborough, took a few and even then I turned up at one and ran 18.20 because the legs were under protest !


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Canyon Speedmax CF 9.0 Ltd Review

Reboot - It's all about 2024

Progressive Tempo