Overreaching

Push yourself to breaking point, rest, recover, race. And repeat.  That was the plan hen I was younger.  Back then, breaking point took some doing. I could do hard intervals the day after a race!

Nowadays I need a proper shuffle to recover.  Saying that I am really feeling the benefit of more regular racing recently.  My easy & recovery runs are definately improving. I'm enjoying the racing if I am honest, something like 9 races this year on PO10!

Decent week last week.  7 days ran as -

Monday - am) 3 easy pm) 4.5 miles with 2 miles @ 5.45/mm tempo test
Tuesday - 3 miles recovery
Wednesday - Peterborough 5k race in 17.09 (spectacular blow up)
Thursday - 8.3 easy @ 7:54/mm
Friday - 10k steady @ 6:59/mm
Saturday - am) Parkrun in 17.29 pm) 10k @ 8/mm
Sunday - Hills

47.1 miles, 425 TSS and around 9 miles worth of hard running at around 5:35/mm

Rest day today, 9 day streak previously and I think I need some adaptions to come in.  Racing tomorrow - 1500m at Kettering.  Should be fun, speed is still the issue but after a 3.09 1st km on Wednesday I think sub 4.40 could be close.

Training right now is bang on.  I think I can easily maintain the level I am at off steady running and 1 longer or 2 shorter threshold tempos. Going 5.30 pace at parkrun no longer holds big fear!

I'll possibly go Parkrun again this Saturday. Honestly, if they were 10 am starts I would be on 100 Parkruns already instead of 16 (19 if you count the ones I lost / forgot my barcode).  Saying that I could really do with getting a longer threshold tempo in - I'd like these to be 10k again at low 6s feeling easy.

Rolling through July & August, not sure how many races I'll get banked.  I wouldn't mind getting a 3k and 5k in on the track at some stage.  I am going to get the lower legs and hips strength sorted.  I think that's my immediate goal.  That will allow me to start a) running track in spikes and b) start looking to steeplechase again.  Hitting the chase next year is probably the big aim.  Sub 6.30 and sub 10 over 2k and 3k are realistic goals.

I'd also fancy some indoors this winter but like I say.  I finally need to address those weaknesses.

If I can stick around 17 min 5k, 17.30 Parkrun I think it's a happy place.  Previously I'd have been looking for more and quickly but I'm running better times than I have for 7 years so I won't be getting greedy any time soon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Canyon Speedmax CF 9.0 Ltd Review

Reboot - It's all about 2024

Progressive Tempo