Peterhorror 5k

Back to the Peterborough GP 5k series tonight.

Obviously I've been a bit so-so about form lately.  I know I am fitter I'm just not faster.
The plan for tonight - set off around 5.20/mm and see what happens.  Luckily, I've banked a 16.59 so no point fannying about nibbling at that.

Met DC and drove up nice and early.  Legs felt good and the warm up - 1.7 miles @ 6:40/mm bore that out. Shit the eye of a needle out and got ready to go.

Course tonight was the fastest one they use. Past the cafe, boat center, reverse last times lake loop, back past the cafe and finish at the water center.

Went off sharp, quickly got on Micky Moore's feet and we gapped behind us.  Knew it was quick but the options available were - keep going and get away or drop back for steadier feet.  Took option A and past first km in 3.09.  Smoking.

Dropped back, needed to keep breathing under control. 5.16 first mile.  Way up, especially the way I ran that 5.16 but fuck it. It is what it is.

Reach for 2km in 6.26 (thought it was 6.36 initially) pace is good, I'm gapped but not loosing too much but sense 2 coming up quick from the rear.  They pass and I hold on for a bit.  Struggle to 3km, in a bit of trouble but know I just need to keep focus before it goes properly pete tong.  3km up in 9.53.

3-4km is messy, struggle here just keep going as best as I can.  Mile 2 is 5.30 - still way under 17 min pace but I am swimming now.  DC passes along with 4/5 others in this km and I can't hold.  Just trying to battle through now.

4km in 13.32 - just around 17 min pace but fading.  Saving grace is last km is pretty quick.  Get passed by 2-3 others who have missed the 17 min train ahead.  They dig in, obviously on the opposite pace strategy to me!  Down the ramp past the lake and up the other side.  Not pretty and not really digging in that hard.  Sense 17.10-17.15 in on and cruise in a bit out of it.  17.11 on the Garmin.

So, school boy error with the pacing. That was WAAAYYY to hard to early.

But actually, when I look at my training recently. 17.11 itself would be more than good for the effort I have put in.  3.09 is 2 secs down on my 1 km track best this season and 5.16 is 6 secs down on my 1 mile road best this season.  Considering I've done no intervals and limited threshold tempo work, being able to run that hard that early is fucking great.  I won't speculate on what I could run even paced as that's bollocks. 

But I am fucking happy considering that 17.11 more than backs up a 16.59.

Lots of work to do. It does make my decision for me on where my focus lies.  Getting that 5k down is going to be fun. Intervals at that 1st mile pace and longer tempos at threshold are an instant start point.

Will more than likely Park run this weekend as a harder tempo.  Confidence is a lot higher after this race as it shows it's all there under the hood, just a few tweeks and it'll come.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Canyon Speedmax CF 9.0 Ltd Review

Reboot - It's all about 2024

Start of Torun Specific Block