HBO 10k

Hatfield Broad Oak 10k today, plenty of fun and games beforehand - forgot rucksack and had to turn back from the M11 !! Had to dump family in the car early due to long traffic delays in town, 10 min delay to start - not ideal prep !!

Met up with Al and Rich Holland just before the the start. Settled into pace (5:45's) after fighting through the crowds, some people were far too far up the front! Never understand why people do this, it's bloody chip timing, if you're going to run over 40 mins, why start with people running under 34 !!!

First mile went through in 6:06 and Al isn't hanging about for me! Strange mile as it was 5:45 bang on and then long drag up hill it quickly crept up to +6/mm.

2nd mile 5:52. Catch Brotherjohn from Fetcheveryone at 3k and work with him, guy from Ely & Garden City man (whose breathing really heavy). Feel not too great here, working hard and it's full force of the wind into face.

3rd mile 5:49. Same group working hard, John probably taking most of the wind and I am finding today a bit tough. Through 5k in roughly 18.05 although Garmin has it short for a change! Think here I know it's a matter of battling through today and the mojo just isn't flowing. Pace is pretty solid but I don't feel like I have the gears.

4th mile 5:48, back into town and see the family for a wave and a cheer. Good downhill bit and start feeling like I've broken the back out of it. Push on with Ely man, it's just teh two of us now. He seems to have a fair bit more than me and to be fair he's probably covered the lead for a minute or so longer.

5th mile 6:11, the big drag out of town. Into the wind and pretty much a real slap up the hill. Reel in a couple and take the front only to be put behind again. Im happy to wait as Im planning to take it hard on the last downhill. Trying to save some energy, know Im not killing myself but I don't feel like Im putting myself in a position to run quick. Get through 5 miles in 29:49, not great but have not had a great day at the office. Worst case todays another solid tempo effort.

6th mile 5:38, working hard and to be fair not feeling that bad now. Take 3/4 people in this mile which is nice, some of the guys look like they've just bonked on the course. I think the front end will be brutally quick.

Last bit 1:02 (5:23/mm), pick the pace up at the finish which is nice. Stop my watch at 36:29 and gun tim I think was 36:35 for about 29th position(?).

Pretty happy with that. it wasn't great and it wasn't any faster than a solo tempo run on Tuesday but the course took a bit out of me today. Didn't really feel like I was nailling it but it felt tough and I kept working hard. Long way off where I want to be but it's a start.

3 weeks proper training now with all the right stuff and I think we'll be where we want to be. Nice to have a marker in the sand. Same time roughly as before I got ill so Im about where I was. Also, 15 secs slower than Bushy last year when I was fresh off the back of a 16.37 5k so I know I'm closing in on 17.00 5k shape.

Didn't get the time that I was after but hey-ho, could have been much worse !!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Canyon Speedmax CF 9.0 Ltd Review

Reboot - It's all about 2024

Start of Torun Specific Block