Swim and Tempo

Swam at lunchtime with Mike. 250 warm up, 10 x 50, 100, 250, 200. Much better this time, starting to feel more comfortable swimming longer and getting breathing right. There is hope for me yet! Lots to work on - Mikey is very technical! Main concern is making stroke longer (both forward and back) but this felt much easier than last week so hoping to keep improving everything over time. Main thing Mike pointed out was shape of my body in the water - far too upright and need to swim downhill.

Will probably do the novice tri on Wednesday week now and see what happens. 400 yard swim, 10 mile bike and 3.5 mile run should be within my capability but don't think the first 2 disciplines will be very fast !!

Drove home from work wondering what session to do. Track was out so eventually decided to do a 6 at a decent lick. Managed 6.20 pace a month or so ago when in reasonable shape. Set out and got to 2 miles in 11.57 and decided it was to be a 10k tempo! 3rd mile passed into a stiff wind and uphill in 5.59. Stopped to tie my shoelaces up (think that is a nervous tick almost now!) and back. 4th mile was a very comfortable 5.39 then a 5.56 5th mile (29.31 @ 5 miles). Last mile was a struggle in 5.59ish then 5.45ish pace for the last 2 and 36.40 for 10k.

2nd quickest tempo ever (36.15 last year in a 40 min tempo) and HR was 169 average for 1000 beats per mile. Into the wind and solo I must admit that 5.50 (and 5.39 wind behind) felt controlled. Last mile was tough but never above 179 bpm. I would hope to average 175 in a race and hit 182 at the end so got to think a PB is on at Hatfield Broad Oak 10k on Monday.

My weeks always change massively from whatever I set out depending on work/family/time/how I feel and this week is no different! Today is a rest to recover from yesterdays efforts and Thurs/Fri I need to do an easy recovery and a decent long run (at easy pace) 8 miles / 14 miles. Saturday should be park run for a good solid short tempo, Sunday rest then show time Monday ! Not sure where I'll get a bike in - maybe Sunday if the wife lets me !!

Weight is hovering around 11st. Still 1/2 stone too high. Need to drink more water and eat more fresh fruit / veg and lay off the bacon. Nothing is going to change between now and Monday which is frustrating but long term I am hoping to get down there!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Canyon Speedmax CF 9.0 Ltd Review

Reboot - It's all about 2024

Progressive Tempo