A move to the Dark Side

A long long (long) time ago (1995/6), I was an international athlete.  Fair enough I got both my GB vests for 3000m steeplechase in weak years but a vest is a vest and I had done all the training I could to take me to what I had always dreamed of as a kid - to represent my country at sport.  After having my 3 kids and marrying my wife it is one of my proudest moments.  When my first invitation letter dropped through the door, reading the words made 10 years of hard training, bad races, baron spells and injuries worthwhile.  I had done it.

Unfortunatley, although I got 2 vests I seemed to have mentally hit a plateaux on what I wanted and felt I could achieve.  My focus was never the same and 3 track seasons after getting my first vest I had effectively retired.  A couple of short lived comebacks and starting my own business eventually lead to me becoming 3 stone over weight and literally obease.  I had a wedding approaching and I wanted to loose some weight so I did what I said I would never and entered the London marathon.

6 months of training and a stone and a half lighter I ran every step of the 2008 London in 4:03.52, a crowning achievement and a desire for more.  6 months later my pb was 3:30.42 - not quick but I had the bug again.  6 more months and London again and my pb was down to 3:00.50 - just 50 seconds outside a sub 3 and over an hour quicker than my first.  Fast forward 2 years and my pb list was starting to get impressive for my age and local club runner status -

5k - 16.37
5 miles - 26.47
10k - 34.45 (in half marathon)
10 miles - 56:30 (Garmin split half marathon)
Half Marathon - 75:40
20 miles - 2:04.45
Marathon - 2:50.16

With bags of potential and some good performances things are looking good.  BUT and this is a big BUT I seem to bounce from injury to injury and when I am injured I do absolutely no cross training.  I have massive ambitions for running but sitting here a week without running with flu I started to think about doing something else I thought I would never do - a Triathlon.  I always said why do three sports badly when I am perfectly happy doing one !

So, I ordered a bike - the first step.  A Giant TCR advanced 3.  It gets good reviews and looks cool.  Along with about £300 worth of other shit to go with it (when did bikes stop coming with peddles and WTF are cleats ???).  I am lucky to have a few friends how do Tri so it's not entirely a jump into the unknown and I am sure I'll have some bike pals.

Swimming - I am useless.  I need to learn and fast.  Fortunately my pals all say this is the easiest discipline and wont take too much getting into.  I had a quick lesson about a year ago and picked up fast but this is one thing that I need to get my head into.

Running, no worries.  I still plan to run 50-70 miles per week but I'll suppliment biking and turbo when I'm injured.

That leaves the target.  For me that can only be Ironman.  It gets me excited thinking about it.  The biggest worry is time and thats something I can do - 18 hours a week of training will be doable (although Im under no illusions how tough it'll be).  I am fairly spontanious and only decided a few days ago.  But one thing about me is I am pig headed enough to do it!

So, I am blogging here, away from prying eyes as I havn't told many people but want to get my diary down how I am progressing.  Bike hasn't arrived yet and Im only doing my first run for a week after illness tonight.  Ironman Lake Placid is the target race.  Have the all clear from the missus and all I have to do is make the start.  Will swim by the end of the week and hopefully have 40 miles under my belt by Sunday.

LETS HAVE IT !!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Canyon Speedmax CF 9.0 Ltd Review

Reboot - It's all about 2024

Progressive Tempo