Adapting plans

Morning DC !!

So today, the plan is to do 4 x 1,000m off short recovery to work 5k pace.  Woke up (admittedly a little hungover) with sore legs.  Probably got a bit carried away running too long yesterday.  Foot is OK (seems OK) small ache but certainly an improvement.

Legs are very heavy though, considering either total rest to let things clear up or go very easy to get something banked and keep the active recovery on foot.

Couple of coffees have kicked in by now so motivation is up a bit!  I'll actually probably just go and do the session, just dial back the paces so they're not even tempo efforts but harder than steady.  That way I feel like I've ticked the session boxes for the week and kept on the plan.

Really starting to feel fitter lately.  Not sure if the speed work has blown away the cobwebs or the previous big miles are paying off.

The foot is definitely better than it was.  Intervals were a huge risk but resting Wednesday and very easy in the reacts yesterday is helping.  Every day just hoping that I can run through this and get back to full training.

The plan is decided by the foot.  My main aim is to do 3 x sessions per week and build up the speed #oldskool BUT if it doesn't improve then slow easy miles (lots of them) should work.  At least I have a couple of options.  Unless it all explodes and is actually a stressy but only one way to find out really !


So.....

Decided to head out and do the session as float - taking the intervals pretty comfortable.

Warm up to the main road, feel alright.  Quick stretch.  Looks VERY uphill !!

Start the first rep - fucking hell, about 300m in breathing like a cunt.  Miss-calculate how far a km is. Watch was 1.24 miles at the start so at 1.6 I think I am nearly done ffs, shit it's 1.86 to the km.  Dig in, bloody hell, just under 6/mm and struggling.  It's a decent uphill bit this! Decide I have come this far so may as well take the segment (0.7m)

Finish up where the path crosses. 0.73m 4:23 (6/mm). Bloody hell, I'm shattered!

Second rep - may as well start here and take the downhill segment.

So the plan was always, harder effort uphill, less effort downhill and keep pace similar.  

2 mins recovery

Second effort, much much easier coming back and pace is where it should have been. Down the hill in 3:54 for 0.72m in 5:24/mm

Finished that one and thought fuck that I'm going home.  Know I have taken all 4 segments but will look a bit wanky if I just do that and don't attempt the rest of the session.

Third rep, start up the hill. Fucking hell breathing through the roof and barely hitting 7/mm.  Slowly get the pace back but it's 6:30/mm for the km.  

Come up a little short (end of the gravel is a grass patch which is a good marker) 0.59m in 3:51 or 6:30/mm

Turn for the last effort.  Downhill is much more comfortable.  Don't need to push too hard to get it to the right pace. Finish in 0.59m 3:11 or 5:22/mm

Finished up with a little sit down, then jogged back.  Took a segment on the run home at 6:50/mm which was nice as I was running pretty freely - just slight tightness on hammys.

5 miles @ 6:24/mm for the full session.


Thoughts -

Each rep climbs / drops about 75 feet.  It's pretty bloody hard.  It's actually a great session for me as it's working my biggest weakness - hills.  I'd adjust it next time to go to the km mark each time but keep pace 5:4x on the way up and 5:3x on the way down but drop the recovery.  Ideally get to 6 invervals over time.

Total session was 2.7 miles @ 5:50/mm.  Grade adjusted pace (if it was flat) of 5:36/mm.

Bagged a better session than I thought to be fair and happy that all 3 sessions are done this week.  Aiming to go slightly longer tomorrow.

If I can keep this rotation going I think I'll be pretty fit in no time.

If the foot holds up will be nice to get a 5k TT in again at some stage to see how the fitness has grown.

52 CTL, 57 ATL, -5 Form.

Really good numbers, reaping the benefit of pushing miles before hand and backing off with quality this week.
















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Canyon Speedmax CF 9.0 Ltd Review

Reboot - It's all about 2024

Start of Torun Specific Block